Quick detach SPD pedals for brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

I've been searching for removable (without unscrewing!) pedal ie some form of quick release for the Brompton. I sold my folding pedal (and its partner) because I wanted SPD ones. I note the new T-line has a nifty removable (although not SPD) left pedal. I can get a pair of Wellgo SPD ones for £85, but of course only the left one is necessary with the Brompton. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative? There is the quandry........ Do I buy the pair and have a removable R pedal I don't need? - the part that screws into the RH crank could be usefully employed as a holder by making a suitable bracket to mount it somewhere on the bike so at least I shouldn't lose the L pedal once I've removed it. I would then need a standard R pedal, and I'd have to buy a pair and therefore end up with a spare L (standard type) pedal :laugh: So 2 sets of pedals, but only 1 which can be used unless I can find someone with a 'left hand drive' Brompton (does such a thing exist for foreign lands).... decisions. decisions :rolleyes:

tinywheels

Über Member
mmm,why the need for such a pedal. surely the stats show a flat pedal is just as efficient :blush:
Back in the day I wore them whilst mountain biking. I was probably swayed by what was the fledgling professional mountain biking scene.
Nowadays I find them surplus to requirements.
As your on a brompton not the tour are you sure they are required?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
mmm,why the need for such a pedal. surely the stats show a flat pedal is just as efficient :blush:
Back in the day I wore them whilst mountain biking. I was probably swayed by what was the fledgling professional mountain biking scene.
Nowadays I find them surplus to requirements.
As your on a brompton not the tour are you sure they are required?

Maybe not "required" but for those of us who like SPDs they mike cycling easier, safer and more enjoyable. The downside is need for special shoes; admittedly more of a downside for a Brompton

tinywheels

Über Member
Maybe not "required" but for those of us who like SPDs they mike cycling easier, safer and more enjoyable. The downside is need for special shoes; admittedly more of a downside for a Brompton

please, explain. I have used both over
the last 60 odd years.
Safer,easier and more enjoyable, I beg to differ. How so?

Some of us get our feet bounced off the pedals at times. Clipless pedals stop that. Some of us get sore knees from the lack of rotation and position control from flat pedals. Clipless pedals stop that. YMMV

Profpointy

Legendary Member
the last 60 odd years.

I like them as they hold my feet securely and reduces the risk of slipping off and I find them nicer and hence more enjoyable to ride. If you don't then don't use 'em !

I like eating, say, curry, but if someone else doesn't like spicy food, I'm not going to argue

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

I rode for over 30 years with toe clips & straps (with shoeplates) , and fairly often pulled a foot out. When I changed to SPD I wished I'd done it 10 years earlier! In the last 12 years with SPD's I've only unintentionally pulled a foot off the pedal twice. If my feet aren't secured I find it very uncomfortable to ride more than a few miles - I tried the Brompton with its standard (1 folding) pedal for 2 rides totalling 58 miles and concluded it wasn't how I wanted to ride. BTW I'm not trying to break any records when I'm riding!

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

They are the adaptors the dedicated pedals fit into. I could use the one off the R pedal to make a 'keeper' for the L pedal when I've removed it - but that would mean I'd need to use a regular pedal for the R pedal........ Hence my dilemma :laugh:
Either buy (and use) the pair of pedals + another pair of adaptors (only use one to store the removed L pedal somewhere on bike) or buy a regular pair of pedals but only use the R one. :wacko:

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
I bought a pair of the Wellgo SPD's. I only used them a couple of times since to me they felt like they spaced my feet apart a bit more than I was used to, maybe i'll stick them on again at some point and give them another try. I got them together with a pair of Wellgo flat pedals that use the same mounting so I could swap in the event I wanted to use normal shoes. I now just use non removable Shimano SPD's and put up with the pedal sticking out a bit and got some plastic things that clip in and convert them to flats in the event I want to cycle in flip flops or something whilst on holiday! I don't use mine for commuting though, just leisure so I'm not carrying it on and off a train / through offices etc ever day.
I thought the MKS ones used their own cleat. If they now do a version that is compatible with Shimano SPD, I might try and get a pair. My wife's Brompton has MKS removable flat pedals on it and they seem well made.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
the last 60 odd years.

:stop:

That is quite impressive, seeing as how the SPD has only been a thing since around 1990 so most of us have only been able to use SPD pedals for 30 years (and that includes me, a proud SPD user since about 1992/3 ish?
To be fair, @tinywheels said "over" rather than "throughout" the last 60 years. Nowt wrong with that - during the last 60 odd (at times very odd) years I've also used flats, clips and straps, and SPDs. Not at the same time, of course, although during one ride I had SPD on the left and a bare axle on the right for more miles than were comfortable. :sad:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Or you could use non-folding pedals on the B. I've seen people who do that. The drawback would be bashing your shins while carrying it, and reduced storage flexibility.

I use flats on mine as I often ride it in ordinary shoes, but on longer rides I must admit that I do hanker for some SPDs.

Top Bottom