Quick link clicking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

I have a SRAM quick link in my chain which makes removing and replacing it for cleaning and lubing easy, but it gives an annoying click/vibration as the link passes the jockeys.

It has never stuck, slipped or derrailed but it is annoying as it spoils the smoothness of the ride.

I am sure the link is snapped shut; maybe just a cheap chain - £20.

Fiona N

Veteran
Are you sure the link is for the same width of chain - e.g. if you've a 7/8spd link on a 9/10 speed chain, it would be slightly loose and may click.

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Quick link came with the chain so unless they were packed incorrectly at factory, the link should be correct.

I'll have a nother look to check the quick link is clicked in completely and not just sitting half snapped.

AlanW

Guru
Does it "click" all of the time or only when the chain angle is extreme, ie, front inner chain ring and smallest sprocket at the rear?

If so then its not the chain link "clicking", its the chain catching on the little hardened pips on the inner edge of the outer chain ring.

Mine does it if the chain angle is to acute.

potsy

Rambler
Crankarm said:
Err.... 7 speed! Wow .......... Are quick links made for 7 spd chains :biggrin:?

Maybe Halfords have got replacements? Or alternatively buy a KMC 8 spd chain which comes with a quick link which I'm sure would be compatible with 7 speed.

Or even better here's a KMC 7 speed chain £5.99 which comes with a "magic link" for ease of fitting and removal.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25427
I bought one of those chains for my hybrid last week,was surprised with the price including a quick link,especially when they are selling the links for £3.99 each!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chains for 6-8 speed are the same.

Top Bottom