Quick link (word to the wise)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Now that you mention it, the last pair I bought were KMC and I seem to remember taking quite an effort to snap them into place.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Now that you mention it, the last pair I bought were KMC and I seem to remember taking quite an effort to snap them into place.
As long as you can get them started, it is usually easy to snap them into place by applying the back brake and standing on a forward-pointing pedal. Every time that I have done it, the link has snapped shut with a satisfying 'clunk'.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
As long as you can get them started, it is usually easy to snap them into place by applying the back brake and standing on a forward-pointing pedal. Every time that I have done it, the link has snapped shut with a satisfying 'clunk'.
Ive got another one to fit so l will give your method a go , thanks for the tip !

Milkfloat

An Peanut

Agreed, for me, the tighter the better.

iluvmybike

Über Member
They are meant to be a tight fit! As ColinJ already said just put back brake on and a quick stamp on the pedal and click. If you file away at it then you run the risk of it failing. I've use a shed load of these things and this method has never failed to pop it into place

Ajax Bay

Guru
2 Pairs KMC Chain Quick Link
1574788213989.png

the fiddly task of carefully filing away the rough and rugged edges
On the assumption that you've only done this on one set so far, how about photographing the remaining set and sharing those images so we can see what you mean. The ones you linked to are not KMC (see 'genuine' ones below):
1574788458525.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
2 Pairs KMC Chain Quick Link
View attachment 494377

On the assumption that you've only done this on one set so far, how about photographing the remaining set and sharing those images so we can see what you mean. The ones you linked to are not KMC (see 'genuine' ones below):
View attachment 494379
Will take a photo of the remaining pair which incidentally dont look as tidy as the ones in the photo l posted but you will be able to see for yourself. This is the first time l've had a problem fitting quick links so lm guessing these are cheap knock offs.This is the ebay listing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pairs-...var=453378451897&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
KMC links are a pig. If you need to stand on a pedal with the brake on to snap it shut good luck with undoing it.

Wippermann are far better IME.

Ajax Bay

Guru
KMC links are a pig. If you need to stand on a pedal with the brake on to snap it shut good luck with undoing it.
Wippermann are far better IME.
I probably undo and rejoin a KMC quicklink once every 1000km for a thorough chain clean. Have never found it an issue - and I too use the 'stamp on a pedal' routine to achieve assured closure. I have no experience of the Wipperman Connex link.

Likewise
Every replacement chain on my bikes, since 2013 (at least) have been KMC
No problems connecting

There has been the occasional problem for removal though, but they've always separated in the end (without damage)

Ajax Bay

Guru
l'm beginning to get fed up with so called '' quick'' links, l might well just use a Shimano connecting pin where poss. in future !
Ime, you'll get far more 'failures' with connecting pins than quick links (which, btw, are called 'quick links' because they are both quick and an effective way to link a chain). Connecting pins carry higher risk except for very capable users - perhaps you are one of those? In which case: hurrah!

Top Bottom