Quick release handlebar stem - Tern Joe D21

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
I got wiped out by another cyclist 2 weeks ago on one of the cycle super highways whilst cycling into work (why do some people ride them like they are trying to get to the front of the peloton?), and initially the bike seemed fine but I was mistaken. A few days later on the ride home went for a pull away from some lights heard quite a loud crack and ended up with the bars in my hands but only attached to the bike by the cables.
The quick release stem clamp had snapped. I have tried to get a replacement but even Tern don't know when they are going to restock them.
So I am looking for a replacement stem / stem clamp that will fit the frame of the Tern and that will retain the quick release capability as I use the bike for my commute and part of which is on the train and the rules are that only folding bikes can be carried at certain times (peak periods).
Can anyone recommend a replacement please?

Tim Hall

Got a picture of the affected part? Google only offers a Joe C21.

OP
OP
Dave the Smeghead

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
20160515_212958.jpg

This is the part I need to replace.

OP
OP
Dave the Smeghead

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
So that's the bit I need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
What you have is a NVO angle adjustable stem. NVO stems are hard to come by. If you want a replacement in UK, try either ebay (enter NVO stem) or CH White.

An alternative option is to junk the NVO system and use the late great Sheldon's Threadless Without Spacer trick. It meant you will have to source a 28.6mm lipless clamp (careful filing off the lip of a typical widely cheaply available 28.6mm seatpost clamp works) to maintain the headset preload, and with that any 1-1/8" stem for threadless steerer that takes your fancy (and has the requisite handlebar clamp dimension) can be used, and it is up to you whether you want top cap and spacers for aesthetic reason. I use such a clamp/collar as the bottom spacer on every one of my bikes with threadless headset.

OP
OP
Dave the Smeghead

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
What you have is a NVO angle adjustable stem. NVO stems are hard to come by. If you want a replacement in UK, try either ebay (enter NVO stem) or CH White.

An alternative option is to junk the NVO system and use the late great Sheldon's Threadless Without Spacer trick. It meant you will have to source a 28.6mm lipless clamp (careful filing off the lip of a typical widely cheaply available 28.6mm seatpost clamp works) to maintain the headset preload, and with that any 1-1/8" stem for threadless steerer that takes your fancy (and has the requisite handlebar clamp dimension) can be used, and it is up to you whether you want top cap and spacers for aesthetic reason. I use such a clamp/collar as the bottom spacer on every one of my bikes with threadless headset.
Thank you very much I will give that a try

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
TBH any correct sized stem could potentially be used. Just drill out the threads and replace the bolt with a QR. People have used the fudge to get oddball handlebars to work on Bromptons.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ah, just noticed the stem is ridged, I'm assuming so it engages the steering even if the the clamp is not tight. Kinda like lawyers lips. Hmm, personally I'd be thinking about trying to source oem replacement, rather than filing the ridges off.

Top Bottom