Quick tyre Q, wired V's folding...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Are folding tyres generally a tighter fit on the rim than the wired equivalent or the same.

Reason I ask is that I have a bike with tubeless ready rims and the supplied foldable tyres are so tight when located on the rim shoulder that I can only just get the buggers off in ideal laboratory conditions. I suspect that if caught at the road side with a bit of fatigue, cold or wet then I would fail!
Once the bead has dropped into the well in the centre of the rim it is no problem but the nice 'ping!' as the tyres are inflated and slip onto the rim shoulder means they are too tight.
I have tried a wired tyre from my commuter and this is ok but as the bike in question is my carbon all-road bike I don't want heavy wired commuter tyres. Likewise I am not looking for skinny race tyres, my compromise is going to be the Vittoria Randonneur Pro 32C.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've always found folders easier to fit.

potsy

Rambler
My 'best' wheels are similar to this and tyres are noticeably tighter on the rim.

Same tyres on different wheels are a doddle to fit.

Only none folding tyre I use these days are the studded ones, but they are wide and fitting is easy anyway.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ironically I found my GP4000S folders quite hard to fit because there's no bead as such that firmly engages with the rim, I struggled a bit to get it all seated correctly.
Wired beads for me next time unless there was good reason to do otherwise.

lpretro1

I think a lot depends on the tyre/rim combination - some are a pita others simple. If u already have tubeless ready rims why not go tubeless then you won't have to worry about taking them off until they wear out

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Much prefer folding than wired. Does sometimes vary between tyre make and rim. Not had many issues fitting tyres. The only ones I find are a pain are wired. Usually Schwalbe

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Much prefer folding than wired. Does sometimes vary between tyre make and rim. Not had many issues fitting tyres. The only ones I find are a pain are wired. Usually Schwalbe
Bizarrely the ones I tried today were my Schwalbe wired ones and they came off by hand. The ones that just won't come off are Continental folders.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sometimes it is tyre wheel combination

Tom B

Guru
I sometimes find that they relax a little once mounted and used for a while. my only experience is with larger sizes are f folders.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Depends on the tyre/rim - as it does with wired. Use and prefer foldable myself. Lighter and IMO feel more responsive.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Vittoria Randonneur Pro folding ordered in 32c flavour. I will of course post back with the results after they have been tried and if these are just a s tight then they will be hung up ready to go on my regular commuter when required so nothing lost.

£40 I could have done without spending but I feel it is quite important to be able to fix a puncture at the roadside without requiring outside assistance.

Vittoria Randonneur Pro folding ordered in 32c flavour. I will of course post back with the results after they have been tried and if these are just a s tight then they will be hung up ready to go on my regular commuter when required so nothing lost.

£40 I could have done without spending but I feel it is quite important to be able to fix a puncture at the roadside without requiring outside assistance.
I run these tubeless, they do come up slightly smaller on a 17mm internal rim. At 80kg, I run at 50f/60r (psi)

lutonloony

Über Member
never having tried folders, it always looks to me to be a tricky game just trying to get the first side on, obviously not, but my little brain just cant get round the idea.

si_c

Guru
Depends. Never had a problem with folding bead tyres, however I got a puncture yesterday and it was so cold that I snapped a tire lever trying to get the inner tube out to replace it.

Top Bottom