Quicker to shout than use bell or Airzound.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

Borough Market is a one way road, peds wander across and meander down so I never do more than 6mph. Girl using an Ipod walks straight out in front of me from the side. I'm guessing she:

1/

Couldn't hear a car, or anything else for that matter so assumed it was safe

2/

used her peripheral vision to make certain no vehicle was coming, the way we all do, be aware of looming shapes from the side. I'm about the same height on the bike as standing so she may have assumed I was a ped too.

I went

Whoooooaaaahhhhh!!!!

and jammed the brakes on to come to a dead stop a foot from her and she did that scuttling crab sideways jump and made a shocked shape with her mouth. I put a foot down , she wandered away, I carried on. Not a word spoken. I had no time to do anything other than shout reflexively.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Oh, Airzound is excellent for cagers who may be bombing along to banging Ibeefa hardcore shout out happy hardcore house. Or whatever. One intersting side effect is that motorists actually jump out of their seat when you give them a blast as they veer into your lane or edge out from a side road.

Great fun.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm not sure I agree with this, but it does depend on how you lay out your handlebars. I can get the brakes on and the airzound in the same moment.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

I can get the brakes on and the airzound in the same moment.

That's a good trick. I reckon when you have literally a split second it's quicker to yell.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Bentmikey and spindrift face each other in a Mexican cantina. A hush falls. A dog barks distantly. "Draw" says the splendidly mustacheoud bartender.

PARP!!

goes the Airzound a fraction of a second before

COCK IT!

is heard from Spindrift, who then turns and walks off among the tumbleweed, crestfallen.

Wolf04

BentMikey said:
I'm not sure I agree with this, but it does depend on how you lay out your handlebars. I can get the brakes on and the airzound in the same moment.

Been practising this. Can't say it feels natural but yes can hit both at same time now. :smile:

When I do get of my fat bum and cylce to work, part of it is along a pathetic cycle path.

You know the type, the council has targets to meet regarding becoming more cycle friendly. Finds several path ways through parks, and so changes the signs to include designated cycle lane 'post mounted' signs.

However, the pavement/pathway remains the same width and has no markings on. Over the years I ve been knocked of that stretch of the commute the most either from pedestrians changing directions or their dogs running lose.

Anyway I have found

Loud voice "Cyclist please give way " can be effective. but if not...

EVen louder voice "Cyclist Cyclist" and once or twice the following

Shouting "Cyclist! 'Well known clothing retailer' cyclist"

I had a bike alarm and quickly moved it as no one paid any attention.

I always start as polite as I can though as not to atagonise any one.

Adrian

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can get motorists to jump out of their skin with my voice - through a closed window......

I yell, but have an unfortunate predisposition to shout 'OI!' as I can never think what else to say!

The one time I did get chance to ponder, what did I manage to yell? -

'OI! OI! OI! OI! OI!'

:laugh:

:laugh::biggrin::biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
OI is much better then an airzound. Do it loud and with anger and you will have the cagers jumping.
Whooaaahh, is also another good one. Do that loud and it works.
Or, my favourit is to mimik the sound of the diesel train horn, gets you looked at.
When there are peds infront on a narrow road, i go, ding ding excuse me.
Now, an airzound cant do all those sounds can it?:laugh:

Cab

The airzound has its uses, but a good yell seems to make people jump up and pay attention when such is required (thankfully not often!).

The problem I had with an airzound was that if I left it on the bike some muppet had to push the button and let all the noise out.

Carwash

Señor Member
beanzontoast said:
I yell, but have an unfortunate predisposition to shout 'OI!' as I can never think what else to say!

When dealing with pedestrians on a shared path (or more often, straying over the line of a segregated path) I tend to shout 'BEEP BEEP!' or 'Make a hole!'. :laugh:

Cab

Carwash said:
When dealing with pedestrians on a shared path (or more often, straying over the line of a segregated path) I tend to shout 'BEEP BEEP!' or 'Make a hole!'. :laugh:

Someone once suggested (was it on C+ ?) yelling, with a terrified look on your face, "AAAAGHHHHH! NO BRAKES!" as a means for clearing a way through pedestrians.

Top Bottom