Quiet High peak routes/suggestions please

• Thread starter Deleted member 89407
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Snake Pass is not steep and not hard unless you try and get up it as fast as you can. You nay surprise yourself, ride up as far as you want, with no expectations and turn round when you want.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Well, I'm not sure how much this thread has helped @Borderman , but it inspired me to to the Monks Road and Snake today.

And awesome it was.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

Snake Pass is not steep and not hard unless you try and get up it as fast as you can. You nay surprise yourself, ride up as far as you want, with no expectations and turn round when you want.
@YukonBoy Judging steepness of a road is relative to someone’s fitness and ability levels. Whilst I am not totally unfit, I haven’t been on a bike since last summer and due to health issues and my asthma playing up, I haven’t been as top notch as I have been in the past. Usually my asthma isn’t an issue at all. When I used to run I could do a 10k in 47 minutes, but not now because of my slightly dodgy knees.

However, very sound advice. I would most likely stop a couple of times. I think my only expectation is to complete the climb. It doesn’t bother me how long it takes as I’m not into timing, a ride takes as long as it takes for me, usually because I stop to take photos everywhere I go. Is there a better time to do the climb on Snake Pass? Every time I’ve been on it (in a non-cycling capacity) it has been busy, which is offputting.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

Well, I'm not sure how much this thread has helped @Borderman , but it inspired me to to the Monks Road and Snake today.

And awesome it was.
@roubaixtuesday This has been very inspiring for me. It’s great to read other peoples’ opinions and views about their own rides and use it as a springboard to help others. As I’m used to MTB riding, being on the road is a totally different experience and one that takes a bit of getting used to, especially on busy roads.

How did you get on with Monks Road? I found it very steep for my fitness level at the moment and had to walk a portion of it. Doing Monks Road and the Snake in the same day is impressive :notworthy:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@YukonBoy Judging steepness of a road is relative to someone’s fitness and ability levels. Whilst I am not totally unfit, I haven’t been on a bike since last summer and due to health issues and my asthma playing up, I haven’t been as top notch as I have been in the past. Usually my asthma isn’t an issue at all. When I used to run I could do a 10k in 47 minutes, but not now because of my slightly dodgy knees.

However, very sound advice. I would most likely stop a couple of times. I think my only expectation is to complete the climb. It doesn’t bother me how long it takes as I’m not into timing, a ride takes as long as it takes for me, usually because I stop to take photos everywhere I go. Is there a better time to do the climb on Snake Pass? Every time I’ve been on it (in a non-cycling capacity) it has been busy, which is offputting.

Steepness we can judge by grade usually expressed as a percentage. Combine the grade and length and we can get an objective idea. Snake Pass early in the morning is a great time to give it a go whilst it is still quiet and cool.

roubaixtuesday

@roubaixtuesday This has been very inspiring for me. It’s great to read other peoples’ opinions and views about their own rides and use it as a springboard to help others. As I’m used to MTB riding, being on the road is a totally different experience and one that takes a bit of getting used to, especially on busy roads.

How did you get on with Monks Road? I found it very steep for my fitness level at the moment and had to walk a portion of it. Doing Monks Road and the Snake in the same day is impressive :notworthy:

I remembered Monks Road as tough and it did not disappoint! The first section in particular was brutal, not helped by someone overtaking me.

But I quite like brutal climbs - I'm pretty slow but enjoy the challenge. Masochism I guess.

Snake I found much harder yesterday, was a reasonably strong head wind and that's really sapping for three or four miles.

If it's the gradient of hills you find problematic, it should be possible to get lower gears. What's your set up?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

@roubaixtuesday I don’t want to change anything on the bike, I like it as it is. Currently have 48/32T chainset and it’s an 11 speed. On the MTB I’m used to having that third chainring for steeper climbs off road but having gears that small you can walk it quicker!

I’m pretty slow on any major climb, not too bad on easy going gradients but I’m not bothered if I’m too slow, I’m happy just riding and completing a route.

roubaixtuesday

I’m not bothered if I’m too slow, I’m happy just riding and completing a route.

Amen to that. Did a very pleasant but *extremely* slow hilly extended commute home last night to make the most of the fine weather.

It might be worth looking at your cassette to get a lower bottom gear. 11-28 is quite common, but I think current ultegra will go to 11-34, which would make a big difference. You might as a worst case need a new chain & derailleur as well as the cassette, dependent on what you have on already.

Lower gears still are possible with a hanger extender - I have run 11-36 for hilly touring and 11-40 is supposedly doable. See https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=113182 for details.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

@roubaixtuesday I'd like to commute but there's no decent route. It's about 15/16 miles depending on which route, however, it incorporates roads I don't like cycling on.

I have the 105 11/34t cassette. If I was ever serious enough about really hilly rides I would probably (eventually) get it changed for a lower gear to make things that little bit easier. I see you got the 11/36 and it fared well. Was there a substantial difference between that and the previous setup?

roubaixtuesday

@roubaixtuesday I'd like to commute but there's no decent route. It's about 15/16 miles depending on which route, however, it incorporates roads I don't like cycling on.

I have the 105 11/34t cassette. If I was ever serious enough about really hilly rides I would probably (eventually) get it changed for a lower gear to make things that little bit easier. I see you got the 11/36 and it fared well. Was there a substantial difference between that and the previous setup?

If you've already got a 34 then I wouldn't bother with a 36 tbh, not enough difference for the cost& hassle for me at least. Enjoy the riding and there's no shame in taking a breather on steep sections.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

If you've already got a 34 then I wouldn't bother with a 36 tbh, not enough difference for the cost& hassle for me at least. Enjoy the riding and there's no shame in taking a breather on steep sections.
@roubaixtuesday Noted. Also, I have no shame in avoiding a cardiac arrest on a steep climb. I'll stop as often as I need as long as I can keep riding at the end of the day. Cheers

Top Bottom