R.I.P. Lemmy, 07/07/13 - 19/08/21

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
My boy Lemmy has been Ill this last month or two with cancer. The odds of surgery being "successful" were put at 10-15% at best, and even then the vet felt I would only be kicking the can up the road for a month or two.

I did not think that would be worth the pain of treatment with such a low chance of a positive outcome, so I took the decision not to go ahead and to simply enjoy the time I had left with him.

The last few days his health has declined sharply, and the vet diagnosed that he was bleeding into his abdomen, so I took the difficult decision to have him put to sleep.

I was there at the end holding his paw and reassuring him, and felt his spirit slip away very suddenly.

I've lost be best friend I've ever had, and feel dreadful that it was my signature that made it happen. Logic tells me it was the kindest thing to do, but I feel terrible and don't think I can ever forgive myself.

R.I.P. Lemmy. I'm already missing you terribly.

classic33

Leg End Member
Never an easy decision to make. You didn't keep him in pain though. Remember that much.

Jody

Stubborn git
Really sorry to hear this Drago. It can't be an easy decision but sounds like the right one.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Awww. We were faced with a similar dilemma last October. Our vet took us aside and said realistically, we'd likely increase his pain and suffering with little to no prospect at all. Still miss him every day.

Very sorry for your loss, pal...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Always sad to hear of someones pet going. It’s part of responsible pet ownership.
You provided him with a great life and a sympathetic, pain free death.

Having recently watched my father-in-law die of cancer you do wonder if the final week of suffering could be dispensed with in a far more humane way.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear this Drago. Worst part of pet ownership, but the final kindness too. 4 years since I lost my lab/springer cross with a tumour that the vet thought was a secondary, so like you I let her go without putting her through too much. Don’t beat yourself up wondering if you could have done anything differently as it would have made no difference. xx

Top Bottom