R.I.P. Lemmy, 07/07/13 - 19/08/21

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thank you to every single one ofmyou for your kind words.

I've paid to have Lemmy cremated individually. I promised him many things in his life (swim in the sea, have relations with a lady labrador, eat a steak, etc) and one of those promises was that when he goes he would stay with me.

His ashes should be ready in just over a week. When they come home he'll spend one final night in his basket next to my side of the bed, then he'll go on the mantelpiece so he can watch over us. When I go we'll be scattered together.

Been sorting out his bits and bobs. His bowls have had a clean and been put away, his collar has been hung on the wall alongside his pedigree, Mini D wanted his harness and lead as a keepsake. Daughter #3 is having the several months worth of food and flea treatment for her dog. Theres about 80 quids worth there, so little four legged Arnie has lucked out.

I had tears in my eyes the whole time while sorting it out.

Mrs D can see how broken I am and has raised the question of another dog. I can see some logic in that, part of my grief is suddenly not having a dog to share my heart and time with, and being retired he was my one constant companion, but it's a bit early to think along those lines yet. Lemmy's breeder is still going so id probably try and get one of his distant nephews, but I'm still a long, long way from being able to do that.

10 years down the track I still cannot commit to another dog - really don't want to do the final days thing again.

We still have Arnie's first (tiny) collar and his last (big) collar hanging in the hallway.

We had our best photo of him printed oversized and put into a nice frame and it is hung in the dining area which is fitting as he was a gready bugger!

Maybe an idea for Lemmy when you are ready?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D has already commissioned a portrait.

Mrs M

Guru
My boy Lemmy has been Ill this last month or two with cancer. The odds of surgery being "successful" were put at 10-15% at best, and even then the vet felt I would only be kicking the can up the road for a month or two.

I did not think that would be worth the pain of treatment with such a low chance of a positive outcome, so I took the decision not to go ahead and to simply enjoy the time I had left with him.

The last few days his health has declined sharply, and the vet diagnosed that he was bleeding into his abdomen, so I took the difficult decision to have him put to sleep.

I was there at the end holding his paw and reassuring him, and felt his spirit slip away very suddenly.

I've lost be best friend I've ever had, and feel dreadful that it was my signature that made it happen. Logic tells me it was the kindest thing to do, but I feel terrible and don't think I can ever forgive myself.

R.I.P. Lemmy. I'm already missing you terribly.

View attachment 605052
So sad to read this, know from your posts how much your boy Lemmy was adored.
Never easy to let a loved one go but kindest act from you.
Tearing up xxxx

Last edited:

dodgy

@Drago I'm an animal lover, particularly dogs. You'll probably not be surprised that I saw the subject of your post and couldn't go on to read the contents, I'd probably blubber and then go on to imagine my own pup. I absolutely know what you're going through, it's the hardest aspect of having a dog in the family. Having been through this, time does heal, you will laugh about the antics he got up to eventually.
Just try to think that you gave him the best life he could have.
Sorry mate.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, yesterday was the first day I managed without crying. I came close, but held on.

Speaking with Mrs D and we've decided we'll get another lab, butnwe shall leave it a couple of months so we dont have guilty feelings about 'replacing' Lemmy. That wouldn't be the case at all, but im on my own at home most days and would love the company, and there is no better company than a pedigree labrador from gundog stock.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Glad to hear the grief is lessening ^_^ and will look forward to pics of the new pup!
Murphy would have certainly approved but i reckon he would have said lurchers are the best! :laugh:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Thank you to every single one ofmyou for your kind words.

I've paid to have Lemmy cremated individually. I promised him many things in his life (swim in the sea, have relations with a lady labrador, eat a steak, etc) and one of those promises was that when he goes he would stay with me.

His ashes should be ready in just over a week. When they come home he'll spend one final night in his basket next to my side of the bed, then he'll go on the mantelpiece so he can watch over us. When I go we'll be scattered together.

Been sorting out his bits and bobs. His bowls have had a clean and been put away, his collar has been hung on the wall alongside his pedigree, Mini D wanted his harness and lead as a keepsake. Daughter #3 is having the several months worth of food and flea treatment for her dog. Theres about 80 quids worth there, so little four legged Arnie has lucked out.

I had tears in my eyes the whole time while sorting it out.

Mrs D can see how broken I am and has raised the question of another dog. I can see some logic in that, part of my grief is suddenly not having a dog to share my heart and time with, and being retired he was my one constant companion, but it's a bit early to think along those lines yet. Lemmy's breeder is still going so id probably try and get one of his distant nephews, but I'm still a long, long way from being able to do that.
We had to make the same decision last year, just before the first lockdown, as our Staffie cross was suffering from severe canine dementia. It is probably the singlemost difficult demonstration of love that you can make for your dog.

We waited until our 17 year old son asked when we were getting another dog before we started looking again, so we knew he had come through bereavement and was truly ready. We kept our eyes out at the local rescue shelters and The Dog's Trust, and are now owners of a ever so slightly bonkers Patterdale Terriorist who keeps us on our toes.

Because they have such short lifespans compared to us, making the decision to allow a dog into your life, knowing that heartache is just down the line in a relatively short time is far outweighed by the unconditional love and devotion they give you.

keithmac

Guru
Just read this @Drago , heart breaking news mate.

You did the right thing for Lemmy, still a very hard decision to make though.

I've seen the other side of it where they didn't do the right thing by their dog and it was not nice to watch.

He was a handsome boy and you should be proud of all the great times you shared together ❤.

I know I'll be in bits when the time comes for our two but will do the right thing by them rather than best for me, which is the way it should be..

Thoughts go out to you, Mrs D and Mini D.

Top Bottom