R.I.P. Lemmy, 07/07/13 - 19/08/21

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Having met Lemmy in person, (when we met as the Women's Tour rode through Poshshire t'other year) and stroked him, I can vouch for what a lovely dog he was.
Sad loss, Drago 😔

RIP Lemmy

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I can only echo many of the sentiments already posted. A heart wrenching (but correct) decision had to be made. You gave him the best possible life a dog could probably have wanted and no doubt spoiled him rotten. Enjoy those happy memories of him.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
So sorry for your loss, I bet he had a great life with your family. The Everly Brothers had it right with the words of the price of love..

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I'm still in pieces, tears in my eyes as I type this.

Here he is earlier this year, just before he fell ill.

And here is the last photo I have, just before I had to say goodbye. Physically he was just a shadow of his previous proud, noble self, but his loving character was still there and I could tell from his eyes that he was glad he was with his Dad.

I know it was the right thing to do, but he's the only dog I've ever had and my heart is still breaking.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I'm still in pieces, tears in my eyes as I type this.

Here he is earlier this year, just before he fell ill.

View attachment 605135

And here is the last photo I have, just before I had to say goodbye. Physically he was just a shadow of his previous proud, noble self, but his loving character was still there and I could tell from his eyes that he was glad he was with his Dad.

View attachment 605136

I know it was the right thing to do, but he's the only dog I've ever had and my heart is still breaking.

Good looking boy!

Right call made - don't feel any guilt about it.

I did the same years ago with my Weim' and whilst I felt like crap I never felt any guilt about making 'the decision'.

In one week he was reduced from a notionally fit and healthy animal to one that could not get his hind quarters off of the ground. Not only was he physically reduced but he was scared and confused - spinal tumour, no hope of it being sorted, decision made in a heartbeat.

I shed tears every day for 13 months afterwards.

I guess you are the same right now but I have always consoled myself that they usually come into the world without your involvement, they usually go out of the world due to natural lifespan or severe illness that you cannot control. But the bit in-between is what matters...

...I'm sure that Lemmy was loved, never beaten, well fed, kept comfy, properly exercised and properly 'vetted' all the time you had him.

That's a great life for a dog - sadly, not all get this level of care.

Chin up!

Chief Broom

Veteran
Sorry to here this and having lost my best friend in Feb i can appreciate your grief. I came home from the vets and wept...You can only do your best and im sure Lemmy had a good life. As others have said dont beat yourself up, you made the toughest and kindest decision and thats the best anyone can do.
ps i did find walking and chatting to other dog owners helpful after losing mine. We would talk about losing are best friends but also celebrating the time we had together, Cheers CB

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
So sorry for your loss, @Drago, but you're a kind man that made the selfless choice. Don't be hard on yourself. Your request for him to be allowed to feel no more pain in the face of terrible odds and the impending inevitable was one of compassion.

One positive, once the painful hurt you feel dies down, Lemmy will visit you over and over through great memories. Lemmy is not hurting anymore. We all feel for you, friend.

I was trying to make a comment, but this says it all so well.

It's tough, but you did your friend that last service.
He couldn't have asked for more. None of us want to be hanging on in a terrible state, and having lost my Uncle recently, he was a good age, my cousin and I had a similar conversation on his passing

I've obviously never met Lemmy nor your good self, but am saddened by his passing, and just from his pictures and your posts over the years he was clearly a fine fellow

It's by far the hardest thing, and the most hurtful, for you to do - but it's the best, kindest, most responsible and morally right thing to do for the pet.
And who is the important one in this situation? The pet.
You did the right thing, without a doubt. One vet said to me that people often feel guilty that they made the decision 'too soon' and her response was that it is always better a day or even a week too soon, than a day too late - with all the stress and pain that entails.

You did what was best for Lemmy, no if/but nonsense, too many folk make their pets suffer rather than make that difficult choice.
Well done for that, stand proud knowing you did right by Lemmy.

pawl

Legendary Member
My boy Lemmy has been Ill this last month or two with cancer. The odds of surgery being "successful" were put at 10-15% at best, and even then the vet felt I would only be kicking the can up the road for a month or two.

I did not think that would be worth the pain of treatment with such a low chance of a positive outcome, so I took the decision not to go ahead and to simply enjoy the time I had left with him.

The last few days his health has declined sharply, and the vet diagnosed that he was bleeding into his abdomen, so I took the difficult decision to have him put to sleep.

I was there at the end holding his paw and reassuring him, and felt his spirit slip away very suddenly.

I've lost be best friend I've ever had, and feel dreadful that it was my signature that made it happen. Logic tells me it was the kindest thing to do, but I feel terrible and don't think I can ever forgive myself.

R.I.P. Lemmy. I'm already missing you
My boy Lemmy has been Ill this last month or two with cancer. The odds of surgery being "successful" were put at 10-15% at best, and even then the vet felt I would only be kicking the can up the road for a month or two.

I did not think that would be worth the pain of treatment with such a low chance of a positive outcome, so I took the decision not to go ahead and to simply enjoy the time I had left with him.

The last few days his health has declined sharply, and the vet diagnosed that he was bleeding into his abdomen, so I took the difficult decision to have him put to sleep.

I was there at the end holding his paw and reassuring him, and felt his spirit slip away very suddenly.

I've lost be best friend I've ever had, and feel dreadful that it was my signature that made it happen. Logic tells me it was the kindest thing to do, but I feel terrible and don't think I can ever forgive myself.

R.I.P. Lemmy. I'm already missing you terribly.

View attachment 605052

R.I.P. Lemmy. I'm already missing you terribly.

View attachment 605052

Have only just seen this When I had to have Sally my Cocker Spaniel put to sleep Myself and Mrs p felt very much the same we had here for fourteen years It left a big hole in our lives

Deepest sympathy

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Thank you to every single one ofmyou for your kind words.

I've paid to have Lemmy cremated individually. I promised him many things in his life (swim in the sea, have relations with a lady labrador, eat a steak, etc) and one of those promises was that when he goes he would stay with me.

His ashes should be ready in just over a week. When they come home he'll spend one final night in his basket next to my side of the bed, then he'll go on the mantelpiece so he can watch over us. When I go we'll be scattered together.

Been sorting out his bits and bobs. His bowls have had a clean and been put away, his collar has been hung on the wall alongside his pedigree, Mini D wanted his harness and lead as a keepsake. Daughter #3 is having the several months worth of food and flea treatment for her dog. Theres about 80 quids worth there, so little four legged Arnie has lucked out.

I had tears in my eyes the whole time while sorting it out.

Mrs D can see how broken I am and has raised the question of another dog. I can see some logic in that, part of my grief is suddenly not having a dog to share my heart and time with, and being retired he was my one constant companion, but it's a bit early to think along those lines yet. Lemmy's breeder is still going so id probably try and get one of his distant nephews, but I'm still a long, long way from being able to do that.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It’s obviously a very personal choice, but leaving it a while before getting another dog is often the best way. There’s less chance of feeling guilt about ‘replacing’ the friend you lost.

You will know when the time is right.

Top Bottom