Rabid anti-cyclist comments on York Press story.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I loved the one from Rodine about taking her horse box to the gymkhana.

I am easily amused.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Stupid article that shouldn't have gone out IMO. Admittedly the first thing I thought when reading it was "Why didn't he check both ways?".

Linford

I loved the one from Rodine about taking her horse box to the gymkhana.

I am easily amused.

Lol @ the effort to introduce levity to the story, but it is a shame that they used the circumstances/lifestyle of another vulnerable road user to detract from the real issue which was central to the original article.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Stupid article that shouldn't have gone out IMO. Admittedly the first thing I thought when reading it was "Why didn't he check both ways?".
Because, at that point the road is separated into two carriageways by a very long island. You would no more expect a car to be coming down the RH side than you would if you were joining a motorway.

Linford

Because, at that point the road is separated into two carriageways by a very long island. You would no more expect a car to be coming down the RH side than you would if you were joining a motorway.

I would agree with this to a greater degree, but I look over my shoulder when changing lanes as the mirrors do not show everything outside your field of vision. It isn't called a lifesaver for nothing. Irrespective of who is right or wrong, I'd rather ber wrong and safe, than right and squished...

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Seems to me as though there should have been a warning sign on the cycle path.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
I would agree with this to a greater degree, but I look over my shoulder when changing lanes as the mirrors do not show everything outside your field of vision. It isn't called a lifesaver for nothing. Irrespective of who is right or wrong, I'd rather ber wrong and safe, than right and squished...
Cyclist approaches road from cycle path, crosses pavement and looks to the right for traffic approaching from the right. The road is bi-directional, its two lanes separated by a very long island.

Now on the road the cyclist begins to go around a lorry (which is parked on the left hand side of the road) to be met with a fast approaching car. The car is driving on the right hand side of the road. To the right of the long island which separates the two carriageways.

Linford

Cyclist approaches road from cycle path, crosses pavement and looks to the right for traffic approaching from the right. The road is bi-directional, its two lanes separated by a very long island.

Now on the road the cyclist begins to go around a lorry (which is parked on the left hand side of the road) to be met with a fast approaching car. The car is driving on the right hand side of the road. To the right of the long island which separates the two carriageways.

I can see it from both sides and do have a degree of sympathy for the rider as he was caught out by the changes in the layout, but have a couple of Q's - Is there a blue arrowed sign directing traffic to the other side of the island as if not, then they aren't legally bound to stay on the LHS ? Also the driver should proceed at a pace which they can stop within the distance they see to be safe (which the story indicates that they did).

I did an advanced riding course a few years ago (m/cycle), and part of it consisted of the following which we can draw parallels from.

1) Riding around a blind bend for the first time, a rider does it at 25mph.
2) The following day, he gets a bit more confident as he knows how tight it is, he takes it at 35mph
3) Now he knows he can negotiate it and has good familiarity at higher speeds, he takes it at 45mph

The question put to me was '''Which is the correct speed to take the bend at and why ?

Edge705

I figured we'd all get by if we adopted the following appraoch A small percentage of drivers have little or no regard for cyclists that use the road A small percentage of Drivers have great regard and are cautious when approaching cyclists on a road. The remainder dont really give it a second thought they neither like or dislike cyclists on the road but have an opinion

In my office only the cyclists talk of near misses not the motorists of which there are many thats because to a cyclist its a big big deal to have a near miss once every full moon (and rightly so) but to a motorist they probably have trivial incidents 2 or 3 times a week and more serious incidents rarely.

I work in the computing industry we spend millions trying to avoid human error and yet we are only 99.9 percent succesful and will never be able to achieve 100 percent simply due to the human mind so we have adopted minimising the risk rather than using the term guranteed. Same applies to motorists of which I also belong - Errors in personal judgment will be common place and therefore lead to either near misses or serious accidents.

So to finish off this week alone I have had a car drive staright across my path givng me very little time to break and also a car reverse into my path adopting an attitude I should slow down for him. To me they potentialy endangered my well being to the motorists its just another incident of many they are likley to encounter every year not only with cyclists but other motorists and other cars and one can only hope that every incident a lesson is learnt but I suspect in most cases it will not.

VamP

Banned
1) Riding around a blind bend for the first time, a rider does it at 25mph.
2) The following day, he gets a bit more confident as he knows how tight it is, he takes it at 35mph
3) Now he knows he can negotiate it and has good familiarity at higher speeds, he takes it at 45mph

The question put to me was '''Which is the correct speed to take the bend at and why ?

60?

Top Bottom