Race team cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charlieivan

Having watched the TDF I noticed on many occaisions that the team car drivers are also the ones giving instructions over the radio and speaking to the riders. I also noticed the Sky team boss not only driving and using the radio but also making notes on his pad resting on the steering wheel. The guy in the passenger seat appeared to be just sat there and along for the ride!! Surely it would make more sense and be much safer to have a dedicated driver and let someone else give the instructions and do the note taking.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've often wondered that, but it's always been the case that the DS does the driving.

I quite like the fact that stage racing seems to ignore the apparently obvious H&S side of life.

They ride in a big gaggle, whizz down hills jolly quickly, sprint when there's no room, ride on with fractures and cuts....

... and ride alongside drivers who are also reading, using a VHF set and playing 3-dimensional chess with a Wookie.

They also hang onto moving cars (doctor etc) and take food and drink handed to them while they're riding.

Just about the only silliness is the (very) recent move to helmets.

I like it the way it is. Hurrah for the drivers of support cars!

... but maybe not the TV guy who put Hoogerland over a fence.... or the chap (maybe not a support driver) who ran into Pantani.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I commented the same thing watching the TDF this year, I think at one point the driver was handing out drinks and chatting to his driver through the window surrounded by bikes. If someone fell it would be so easy for them to get run over :/

Top Bottom