Racing or Tourer ?? Any advice appreciated :)

which bike would you use for the London to Paris bike ride??

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Russ Smith

Hi, so i am Russ first time poster!
Id like any advice possible, I have ridden a MTB on roads quite a bit but never even ridden a road bike!
blush.gif
I have always enjoyed cycling but now want to ride with some more efficiency and speed, i wont be commuting, just cycling for pleasure, my goal is to enjoy a bit of training then do a couple of short charity rides (i.e. the London to Brighton) and move my way up to rides like the London to Paris (i have family that like to take part in these!) So..........Racing or tourer????
wacko.gif
So here is the 'what bike' question!
I am on a tight budget - about £500 for a second hand machine! I have been looking at specialized (as recommended by family - by all means recommend another brand if poss!) and come to the allez or the sectuer...... but there's so many models and all different spec.
-So first (and main) question should i go for a Racing or a tourer? long rides need comfort, but speed seems important (i live in a rolling hill area but wish to ride long distance!) is the sectuer that much slower? and is it that much more comfortable?? and are these the only differences ?!? im not interested about carrying panniers btw but mudguards may be of use!
-Second will i need a comp, double or triple - i am not that fit (hopefully will be!)
-Third erm.......... anything else i should consider? like components, frame type, tire type etc
Thanks in advance any advice will be greatly received
thumbsup.png

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Welcome to the forum.Go and test a few out at your local LBS, and see what each feels like. Then make your choice, only you will know what feels best for you :smile:

I'm just going to add that comic sans is a crime to typography *Shouldn't have studied typography*

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi Russ

Why not get a audax bike ? Basically a audax bike is a cross between a touring bike and a racer- Light, fast and has a rack with mudgaurds. rack and mudgaurds optional :smile:

Racing bikes dont have all the eyelets or clearances for mudgaurds or racks and not all race bikes fit fatter tyres

Touring bikes in generall are built for strenght and weigh more.

Most mid range bikes will have all the all the benifits to set it up as a audax bike.

Stay clear away from bikes with only BIG gears. Get that triple chain set unless you reckon you can mash the bigger gears, or at least get a low geared compact chainset

John

PpPete

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum.Go and test a few out at your local LBS, and see what each feels like. Then make your choice, only you will know what feels best for you :smile:

I'm just going to add that comic sans is a crime to typography *Shouldn't have studied typography*

bad enuff having spelling nazis around the place !:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously though, John's suggestion of an Audax bike is a good one. Halfords get a bad press, and I would never "recommend" them, but the Carrera Vanquish has a lot going for it at that price point.

Top Bottom