Rack Bag commuting/touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caminsk

hello everybody ;)

I use the bicycle for commuting (about 24 miles/day) and backpacks are quite unconfortable, I tought about a pair of panniers but the problem is that sometimes i gotta live the bike on the street so i would need to carry both panniers with me, so I´ve been looking for a rack bag and I found 3 models from 3 different brands

they are:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avenir-Pannier-Rack-Mini-paniers/dp/B000RPGOXA

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/product.php/4827/0/creek2peak_discovery_cordura_rack_pack

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28663

I would like to know your opnion and or recomendations ;)

in a close future ill start touring around with the bicycle as well
2 of this 3 models has panniers, are they good for touring or for that should I use real rear pannier?

thanks a lot!

andym

Über Member
Or you could get a pair of panniers and then just use one for commuting. Just as convenient as a rack pack.

Personally I wouldn't get a rack pack unless you were absolutely convinced you needed one as a supplement to panniers.

OP
OP
caminsk

caminsk

andym said:
Or you could get a pair of panniers and then just use one for commuting. Just as convenient as a rack pack.

Personally I wouldn't get a rack pack unless you were absolutely convinced you needed one as a supplement to panniers.

well i thought about it... but as I carry tools and some clothes, the bag weight from 5 to 10 kilos sometimes

it may afecte the stability of the bicycle no?

amaferanga

Veteran
I have an Agu Yamaska 475 which has the fold out panniers as well. Its big enough for very light touring only though and I have used it for weekend trips where I wanted to travel light and fast, but for a normal tour I'd go for panniers.

amaferanga

Veteran
One pannier is fine - I used to commute with one and often loaded it up with shopping on the way home. It's really not a big deal and if you see yourself needing panniers in the future anyway I think it'd be your best option.

andym

Über Member
caminsk said:
well i thought about it... but as I carry tools and some clothes, the bag weight from 5 to 10 kilos sometimes

it may afecte the stability of the bicycle no?

Surprisingly little. And remember with a rack pack that weight is relatively higher up - so six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I normally use one pannier for commuting, but have recently got a rack bag & find it better sometimes. With the pockets on the rack bag it's easier to keep keys & mobiles etc easier to find, rather than rummaging round in the pannier, but panniers are more practical for carrying shopping etc.
It depends what your main use is going to be.
If money's no object then buy a rack bag & panniers :ohmy:

bonj2

I have got a CreakToPeak one - I had the exact problem you've now got and I solved it by going to the LBS.
The creak2peak was the only one they had, and it's perfectly adequate.
Contast this with shopping online - you've got multiple options, all of which are equally perfectly adequate - but the multitude of options does introduce another problem - that being that you don't know which one to choose.
You instantly feel that you would be doing yourself a disservice if you buy one that isn't the "best" one. Part of the benefit of going to the LBS is that they've already chosen the best one for you.

top tip - only shop online when you know exactly what you want and they don't have it at the LBS!

OP
OP
caminsk

caminsk

bonj said:
I have got a CreakToPeak one - I had the exact problem you've now got and I solved it by going to the LBS.
The creak2peak was the only one they had, and it's perfectly adequate.
Contast this with shopping online - you've got multiple options, all of which are equally perfectly adequate - but the multitude of options does introduce another problem - that being that you don't know which one to choose.
You instantly feel that you would be doing yourself a disservice if you buy one that isn't the "best" one. Part of the benefit of going to the LBS is that they've already chosen the best one for you.

top tip - only shop online when you know exactly what you want and they don't have it at the LBS!

thanks for the advice! :ohmy:

the one u have for now is my prefered...i may go for it.

i have 2 questions

would you use it also with rear panniers for touring?

and could it be attached in a front rack as well?

thanks a lot

http://www.carradice.co.uk/rack-packs/prima-top bag.shtml

You can get it for less if you shop around.
Almost all bike luggage is good, but AFAIK Carradice is the only one that has a repair service, which to my mind makes it better value for money.
Chances are, none of them will fit on a front rack. For that you need one of the incredibly expensive Giles Berthoud bags from France.
If you're not carrying too much, I think they're easier to carry around than panniers. Most have shoulder straps.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
EBC do a revolution (own brand) rack top bag, I use it every day and with panniers at weekends. well designed, well made bag which was cheap.

bonj2

caminsk said:
thanks for the advice! :smile:

the one u have for now is my prefered...i may go for it.

i have 2 questions

would you use it also with rear panniers for touring?

and could it be attached in a front rack as well?

thanks a lot

could use it with rear panniers - the straps might not fit 'through' the top of them but y ou could figure something out
don't know about a front rack - wouldn't ever use one of them

OP
OP
caminsk

caminsk

GrumpyGreg said:
EBC do a revolution (own brand) rack top bag, I use it every day and with panniers at weekends. well designed, well made bag which was cheap.

ive tryed to google it and the only thing i could find from EBC are brakes and nothing else

do they have a website?

cheers

Top Bottom