Rack Fittings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jethro10

Über Member
Been asking a few question recently, building up to understanding what would suit me for a new bike.

1./ One of them is Rack 'bosses', some Mountain type bikes have em, most dont.
Is it a certain type of bike that has them?

2./ And is it legitimate to use a seat post mounted rack instead. It wont be heavy, just a bit of extra water, innertube, pump, waterproofs etc.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Jethro, if you only intend lightish stuff you may be better with a large saddle bag. Possibly one that fixes to seatpost as well as saddle, Carradice are the old style ones and there's all sorts of newer styles, Topeak are a pretty solid maker. If you go seatpost mounted rack then a racktop bag is good. I have the Arkel Tailrider, but topeak, altura etc all do variations.

Personally I've been wary of seatpost mounted ones as I worry that they can swivel. I'd always want one supported, ie with legs fixed to the drop out area. As long as the frame has mudguard eyelets then you can use a rack. Some have seperate mudguard and rack eyelets but nothing wrong with fitting both to the one. If you don't have bosses on the seattube/seatstays then you can put some on via p-clip. This is a variation on a jubilee clip and would be fine for light to medium weights.

If you intend touring or carrying big panniers and fair weights, then you really need a frame that's suitable.

OP
OP
J

jethro10

Über Member
Hi,
thanks for that.

It's just lightish stuff, enough food, waterproofs, spare tube etc. for a day trip type of thing. Perhaps a bit of extra water above what the frame mounted bottles hold.

I quite like the Topeak ones with their QR bags so if you park up, it's no-pain and so quick to remove the bag, but they mostly seem to be seat post mounted.

Jeff

Cubist

Still wavin'
jethro10 said:
Hi,
thanks for that.

It's just lightish stuff, enough food, waterproofs, spare tube etc. for a day trip type of thing. Perhaps a bit of extra water above what the frame mounted bottles hold.

I quite like the Topeak ones with their QR bags so if you park up, it's no-pain and so quick to remove the bag, but they mostly seem to be seat post mounted.

Jeff
I have the MTX QR post mounted rack and trunkbag on my commuter/hybrid. Very convenient, looks professional etc etc. Well designed

Top Bottom