Rack mounts and proper mudguards on a carbon frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatjel

Veteran
Is there a carbon frame that can accommodate full mudguards and a pannier rack ?
I like my Specialized Roubaix to ride but so often take another bike if it’s raining or I have to carry anything which as I don’t drive and live in the UK is most of the time.

Diamondback Haanjo EXP

vickster

Legendary Member
Is there a carbon frame that can accommodate full mudguards and a pannier rack ?
I like my Specialized Roubaix to ride but so often take another bike if it’s raining or I have to carry anything which as I don’t drive and live in the UK is most of the time.
There’s an article here about carbon bikes that will take mudguards (Not read so don’t know if it’s proper fixed ones or a race blade / crud type)
https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/16-best-mudguard-compatible-carbon-fibre-road-bikes-221187

rack wise, assuming you don’t have a carbon seat post, you could try a beam rack (colleague of mine used one for commuting on a Ribble Gran Fondo), they can move a bit though so make sure properly shimmed on the seat post

Or just get something lightweight in another frame material 👍

Reactions: C R
I think my suggested frame has an aluminium rod threaded at each end, bonded inside the monostay design. This is how I would do it if I had to. Glueing small metal eyelets to thin carbon fibre tubes then hanging heavy flexing weights off them is not a good solution.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Some of the Trek carbon frames have hidden mudguard mounts, so can take full guards, but not sure about rack mounts. More options in Ti :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Some of the Trek carbon frames have hidden mudguard mounts, so can take full guards, but not sure about rack mounts. More options in Ti :okay:
Or steel

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
As already posted a lot of the trek carbon frames will take guards, as will many/most of the gravel bike frames.

Rack mounts are fewer, the trek checkpoint has mounts, but can't think of any others.
My commuter is a GT Grade carbon, which has guard mounts, but no rack. I eventually bought a tailfin rack and panniers for it, which mount to the rear axel. Not cheap, but works brilliantly, in fact better than most other rack systems I've ever used

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've seen a few bikes with carbon front forks which have rack/mudguard bosses.

One site mentioned a load limit, think it may have been 5kg.

Might work OK, but for the OP's car substitute application I would get a steel or ally bike with a properly fitted Tubus rack, meaning no worries over load limits.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
The Specialized Roubaix is by design a lightweight fast endurance bike, few are set up to take full guards and luggage. Carbon frames are available that will take a pannier rack and guards, they will normally be marketed as Gravel bikes (the Trek Checkpoint SL6 being just one example), although heavier duty than an endurance bike if you use road tyres the geometry for many is close enough to the former to make it a valid consideration as a quick enough summer fast bike that also has the versatility to take guards and pannier rack.

Another option would be Titanium, many are closer to an endurance bike geometry than a carbon gravel bike yet they can also take a pannier rack and guards, Van Nicholas Yukon, Enigma Etape, Sabbath September AR-1 Disc and J Guillem Orient to name just four.

theriddler

I intentionally sought out a Specialized Sirrus Pro 2006 frame so that I could mount a pannier rack. It's a disc-brake aluminium frame with carbon seatstays. Fully-equipped with 9-speed Shimano Deore LX and carbon parts, dynamo lighting, mudguards and pannier rack it weighs 11.7 kg – lighter than most gravel bikes.

Top Bottom