Radio Clyde 2 cyclist bashing discussion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
In the wake of recent publicity re the death of pedestrian Kim Briggs, cyclists are getting a universal bashing on the discussion programme "Scotland's Talk-In" this morning.

The usual predictive complaints re red light jumping, pavement cycling, not using cycle paths and lanes, and of course we should have insurance and pay "road tax".

I was compelled to send in an e-mail to try and defend some of us, but it was probably a waste of time.....

Hi Ally, Just a point I would like to make re cyclists and those calling for road tax and insurance.... Many cyclists, myself included, have 3rd party insurance coverage through membership of bodies like British Cycling and/or Cycling UK... Road tax; well where to start given that it doesn't exist now as it is called VED - i.e. an excise duty on vehicles. Roads are paid for through general taxation, which we ALL pay. Even ignoring that, feel free to have us pay "road tax" but make it zero rated based on our emissions! Same as a lot of cars now (those with low emissions such as electric, or hybrids).. Regards, Brandane.

classic33

Leg End Member
You should make the offer to pay the Road Tax for one of them.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Far too reasonable. If you want these idiotic radio phone-ins to take notice of you, you have to be far more confrontational. Eg:

"I'm sick of these moron motorists banging on about so-called 'road tax'. When will they get it in their thick heads that THERE'S NO SUCH THING!!! When cyclists start killing thousands of innocent, vulnerable road users every year, then you might have an argument for compulsory licensing and insurance. Until then, shut the fark up and concentrate on getting your own house in order. Regards, smutchin"

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Far too reasonable. If you want these idiotic radio phone-ins to take notice of you, you have to be far more confrontational. Eg:

"I'm sick of these moron motorists banging on about so-called 'road tax'. When will they get it in their thick heads that THERE'S NO SUCH THING!!! When cyclists start killing thousands of innocent, vulnerable road users every year, then you might have an argument for compulsory licensing and insurance. Until then, shut the fark up and concentrate on getting your own house in order. Regards, smutchin"

Later in the programme, a coach driver from Aberdeen came on; banging on about how he is constantly held up by cyclists and that modern day roads are no place for cyclists - basically saying that we should keep off public roads. I did type out a second e-mail along the lines of what you are suggesting, but didn't send it. Not too late now of course, just to make a point .....

Hi Ally, Just another quick point I would like to make regarding cyclists using public roads - particularly for the information of your telephone guest (the coach driver from Aberdeen). Roads are shared public spaces for the benefit of ALL road users within the confines of the law. If your coach driver guest cannot cope with sharing the road with vulnerable groups of road users such as cyclists then he shouldn't be in charge of a pedal car, never mind a feckin coach. W*nker. Regards again, Brandane (Class 1 HGV driver of 10 years standing).

My stock response to the "road tax" thing, is to point out that I wanted to pay it, but there's no such thing, and the tax people pay on their car, isn't applicable to bikes, seeing as though it's based on emissions, and bikes are zero emission vehicles, just like a Renault Zoe, that's a car, they don't pay, why should I?

Slick

Guru
I must admit, ignorance does get tiresome after a bit. I missed the programme, unfortunately but I did have the misfortune of working in London a week or two back and I just happened to mention that I would like to see some of the sights on my bike. The tide of misconceptions that came my way was surprising, and I did try to educate as many as I could but it really was an uphill battle. I don't know what the answer is, but it does seem to be getting worse.

In the wake of recent publicity re the death of pedestrian Kim Briggs, cyclists are getting a universal bashing on the discussion programme "Scotland's Talk-In" this morning.

The usual predictive complaints re red light jumping, pavement cycling, not using cycle paths and lanes, and of course we should have insurance and pay "road tax".

I was compelled to send in an e-mail to try and defend some of us, but it was probably a waste of time.....
Well done for trying but as you say, just a sad waste of time. The media hate us, as do the public, the judiciary, most politicians and most juries.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Where is this radio station? I'll send a couple of my heavies round.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Well done for trying but as you say, just a sad waste of time. The media hate us, as do the public, the judiciary, most politicians and most juries.
Woe, woe and thrice woe!

You don't think you're being just a tad defeatist? Yes, there are daffodils out there, but there are also an awful lot of people who ride bikes (a third of the adult population and more children), and there is a more and more concerted voice in favour of cycling - even this government has a cycling strategy aimed at cycling being the default for short journeys. Because, quite frankly, there is no alternative.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Where is this radio station? I'll send a couple of my heavies round.
I wouldn't bother. It's not exactly very successful.
upload_2017-9-24_16-55-26.png

It's not so much Scotland's Talk-In as Scotland's village hall meeting.

snorri

Legendary Member
Radio phone-ins provide a platform for the ignorant to spout their prejudices on anything and everything.
I'm surprised to hear of anyone who would take heed of their rantings.

Top Bottom