Rain and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I brought a new bike recently and I want it to last a good few years. There will be times when I'll be riding it in the rain and sometimes I will need to leave it locked up outside in the rain for a few hours. How much damage does rain do to bikes?

None. Unless mixed with salt.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Rain is good: washes the dust off and makes for a lovely quiet ride for a few hours ;)

You can also buy frame protector. Aerosol that you squirt down the tubes, bosses, weld holey/thingies and swill around. Messy old job, but I hear it works.

That said, the old vintage frames that you see about have been looked after and it's probably mainly storage in the winter that is the important thing. These days people sell their bikes on after a few years anyway.

Last edited:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Its not so much the rain that does damage as all the dirt ,grit etc that gets thrown up with the water and all over your drivetrain causing more rapid wear of the chain, cassette ,wheel bearings etc etc.

Cleaning after use in wet weather will help a lot. Full size Mudguards also considerably reduce the amount of crap thrown over you and your bike.

hoopdriver

Guru
Mudguards are very handy for keeping the muck out of your drivetrain - it is this grit, salt, silt, muck etc that does the damage not just the water that is rain. Wiping down the chain is a good idea, as is keeping it well lubricated as a general thing. As noted above, putting a plastic bag over the saddle is another good idea if the bike is going to be out in the rain.

It is not a bad idea to wipe off the drop outs after a wet and muddy ride as these can be the parts of the frame where rust can start. I have a much used 20 year old tourer with about 90,000 miles on it and the only parts of the frame that are corroded are the drop outs and around the bottom bracket.

I don't go overboard but I do try to wipe down the frame when it has been out on a long wet ride. As I live near the coast, there is more salt in the air, and so one needs to be a bit more careful.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Might try waxing the frame, although that's a bit of a job, especially around all the braze ons. Old steel frames can take an inordinate amount of weather. I have gotten some that were quite corroded, yet once I go the corroded parts out, the frame was quite clean inside. There is a product called frame saver, but I'd bet a good spray of WD-40 in the tubes may do the same. Checking over your bicycle and looking for problems when they get started is an even better idea, a good case for cleaning the bicycle often. Mudguards, as @hoopdriver said, are also a great option.

Top Bottom