Rain and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
If Lancia made bikes......

4783415081_5a5700277c_b.jpg

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Dont think the OP has a carbon bike. His Alu frame won't melt (carbon forks might do if unlucky)
Yep just carbon forks. I've heard they spontaneously combust even if just one raindrop falls on them. Maybe that's what that loud bang was I heard coming from the shed.

johnnyb47

Guru
The rain itself is not to bad. Its when it's combined with mud and winter salt that plays havoc..My old Peugeot only gets used in the Summer months and then lives next to the kitchen radiator in the winter. That's when the Boardman MTB comes into action. It's usually given a good spray over with Wd40 and a hose down every week during the winter months as the lanes around here are always caked in thick mud throughout winter.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Bolts often tend to be mild steel, e.g. those holding the handlebars at the stem tend to gather rust and particularly when allen key heads face up fill with water as on my Dawes MB. The frame and components are fine but why use bolts and screws which will inevitably rust?

screenman

Legendary Member
Bolts often tend to be mild steel, e.g. those holding the handlebars at the stem tend to gather rust and particularly when allen key heads face up fill with water as on my Dawes MB. The frame and components are fine but why use bolts and screws which will inevitably rust?

Cost. They are easily replaced though.

If Lancia made bikes......

View attachment 358897

Is that a Lancia Beater?

si_c

Guru
The rain itself is not to bad. Its when it's combined with mud and winter salt that plays havoc..My old Peugeot only gets used in the Summer months and then lives next to the kitchen radiator in the winter. That's when the Boardman MTB comes into action. It's usually given a good spray over with Wd40 and a hose down every week during the winter months as the lanes around here are always caked in thick mud throughout winter.
If you put some framesaver in the seat tube, no reason you can't use the Peugeot all year round. I've used both of mine through winter. Just give the bike a hose down and a wipe with a rag after particularly wet rides.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
On a modern alu bike you basically have nothing to worry about. As the name suggests ride my bike in all weathers, gets left outside in the rain at work. Never gets cleaned other than an annual rub down with sandpaper and salt. There is superficial rust around the bolts and QR skewers but nothing in the least bit concerning. I suspect I will be returning to dust long before my bike.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It's a good idea to drill a drain hole in the bottom bracket shell if there isn't one.
Water can seep in through the seat tube and weld vent holes and when water gets in it all piles up in the lowest part of the frame, the bottom bracket shell.
Or take out the bottom bracket every once in a while and give it a quick wipe.
I found a small reservoir in the Vantages shell when I first opened it up after about a year coz there's no drain hole whereas I drilled the Raleigh and that was bone dry after the same period.

Top Bottom