Rainproof jacket for a long, hot ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
In a couple of weeks I'm heading off on a 3 day ride across the country coast to coast (see my signature!) and could do with getting a waterproof jacket in case it starts pissing it down and I've still got a whole day of riding ahead of me.

However, there seems to be quite a range out there:

£27 http://www.wiggle.co...erproof-jacket/
£34 http://www.evanscycl...jacket-ec027333
£59 http://www.evanscycl...jacket-ec025044
£89 http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=52006
£144 http://www.wiggle.co...ity-h2o-jacket/ (although one place MAY have some left for £99)

I'm guessing that the more I spent, the better breathabilitywith waterproofness I get?

I would expect I need something pretty breathable if the weather is still quite warm and I'm going to be riding some serious hills for some hours - I don't want to get soaked either by the rain or by my sweat! Certainly my Altura road jacket - whilst very waterproof and reasonably breathable, will NOT do as I will boil in the bag in that.

I do have some £100+ Gore trousers which are impressively waterproof and still pretty breathable - do I need to be spending £100+ on this, or is that more just for the pros?

Would anyone care to recommend anything?

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Aldi have some cheap packable waterproof jackets if you don't wanna spend a fortune... £8.99

I have some waterproof trousers that I bought for a similar price a couple of years ago and they're still going strong

stephec

Legendary Member
The Castelli is just a plastic bag, it has no breathability to it, this was explained to me as I tried one on in Evans in Castleford.

I have just got an Altura Ergofit, haven't had chance to wear it yet though. I had the previous model, the Strada race cape, that is waterproof, but if you push hard you can still sweat a little. The Ergofit feels lighter than the Strada. If you decide on one of these either Ribble or Cyclestore are the cheapest at the moment.

ramses

I use the Endura Stealth Jacket. It's a little expensive, around £160 but it is an amzing jacket.

Very waterproof and breathable, and has excellent zips that can be opened for more breathing.

http://www.endura.co...123&prod_id=141

If you shop around I'm sure you can get it a little cheaper.

Highly recommend this jacket though.

yello

I'm guessing that the more I spent, the better breathabilitywith waterproofness I get?

Absolutely spot on.

A lot depends on how hot you run and how hard you ride but, imho,a genuinely waterproof AND breathable jacket does not exist; it's going to be a trade off... and price is part of that trade off. As far as I am aware, the closest you're currently going to get to the holy grail (of breathable and waterproof) is jackets made from the eVent fabric. Wiggle/dHb do a simple/basic one (as I recall) but it's not cheap... you're looking at 100 notes as I recall. Other makes are better featured but pricier.

Personally, I'd take breathable over waterproof any day... and take a towel! ;)

Norm

Personally, I'd take breathable over waterproof any day... and take a towel! ;)
I'd take warmth over waterproof.

I use an Altura Nightvision if I use anything, but wind-proof is the quality that I cherish, I don't mind getting wet or sweaty.

amaferanga

Veteran
If its actually warm then a gilet and arm warmers makes more sense IME. You'll be just as wet and much less comfortable in a full waterproof.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I rarely wear my waterproof (Altura Nightvision) outside of winter as I prefer breathability to waterproofing. Lycra isn't actually that bad when wet as long as you aren't getting hit by too cold a wind

Usually I use a Montane Fetherlite. It won't keep you dry in heavy rain but the pertex is far more breathable than any waterproof I have and also it has the benefit of scruncing up to the size of an apple. :smile:

If you really want waterproof then eVent is probably the best material to look for, but it won't be cheap.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't think you need a full waterproof on a warm day and you'd cook if you had one.

I'd go for the gilet and arm warmers, backed up by a lightweight shower-proof jacket perhaps.

PS I did get caught out in a freak downpour once on a very hot day. I went from cooking under a hot sun to shivering violently in freezing rain in about 30 seconds. It was actually scary how vicious the rain was. Fortunately, the black cloud blew away as quickly as it had appeared and I was dry and warm again in less than 5 minutes.

That kind of thing has only happened to me twice in 22 years of cycling so I'm happy to take my chances!

yello

I'd take warmth over waterproof.

As would I, but that's adding the 3rd element to the holy grail! As the OP said it was a "hot ride", I excluded it and focused on the breathability/waterproof balance.

Pertex is an affordable, breathable and water resistant fabric - a good compromise for summer rain. It most definitely will NOT keep you dry in a downpour, nor extended wet weather BUT it does breathe well and is a good windproof. Montane Featherlites are made of pertex but there are other brands (I have a Rab for instance).

I agree with comments about preferring to be rain wet than sweat wet (so long as I'm warm ;) ). But then, I used to deliver newspapers as a kid and got well used to getting saturated (rain in Wellington, NZ sets in for days!), so perhaps I'm battle hardened, maybe even take a perverse pleasure in it.

As mentioned above, lycra isn't too bad to wear when wet. And it dries out pretty quickly too. In fact, I don't like flappy gear at all in the rain (cotton baggies and t-shirt for instance), it clings and feels yuk. Give me next-to-skin wet over that any day.
Oh, btw, merino (my other 'drum bang' ;) ) is warm when wet. Recommended as a base layer.

Norm

As would I, but that's adding the 3rd element to the holy grail! As the OP said it was a "hot ride", I excluded it and focused on the breathability/waterproof balance.
Indeed, and +1 to the rest of your post, filling in the bits that I should have written. :thumbsup:

I have never needed more than merino or bamboo t-shirt, thin fleece with a water / wind proof over the top. That has seen me through to freezing temperatures, although, in an ideal world, I'd probably get some arm-warmers tot, just to give that final bit of flexibility.

ChristinaJL

I have a white Gore Alp-x jacket, see here. It's a nice thin material and I've found even in warm weather it's great, I don't sweat too much in it. Although I have the womens' version and got it half-price in a sale. :smile: It's far nicer than my old altura jacket which I used to sweat too much in and get over warm.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

After doing some shopping around yesterday I have discovered I share the sentiment of others here that something water RESISTANT rather than PROOF would be the way to go. I simply can't justify spending £100+ on something I might wear very rarely - I also have an Altura Nightvision jacket for the colder, wetter days and it's very effective for that.

I was recommended the Montane Featherlite jackets in Evans - would be ideal for something to shove over the top when things start getting too drizzly, don't mind if I get a little warmer but like others have said I'd rather be wet from cool rain than from sticky sweat! Annoyingly I am committed to do the ride wearing cotton t-shirts provided by the charity so I won't be wearing any lycras on the top half.

So I guess something that'll keep the worst of the rain off without being too sweaty, and under the £50 mark would be ideal. Anything other than the Montane Featherlite to look at?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would be tempted to wear a thin baselayer under the tshirts to wick any sweat away from direct contact with the skin.
So would I.

The featherlites come in gilet form as well
I've got one. It is very convenient to carry because it scrunches up into the apple-sized bag in which it is sold.

It's very good for coolish to warmish breezy and showery conditions.

gilet.jpg

Top Bottom