Raleigh Amazon (gents and ladies)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice, you can drop a bunch of weight by removing that lump of pig iron masquerading as a crank and replacing it with an Aluminium one

EDIT - I'd wear safety boots in case you drop it on yer tootsies.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
My wife has an Amazon. Since getting her a fast hybrid, and a tandem, it has languished in my shed. This summer my lad said he wanted to go camping with his mates and needed a bike, so I got it out, pumped the tyres up, and off he went, all 17 stone of him. He came back with a big smile and full of his trip.

Salar

A fish out of water
Raleigh Amazon,

One of the first proper bikes I bought for my eldest son, the green mottled one, OK a bit heavy, but did him well until it was stolen.

I like my old Raleighs, my current favourite being an old Pioneer.

The good thing about riding an old Raleigh is you can take your time, even push the bike up hills, no one notices you and you don't need to be a speed merchant, great when you reach a certain age.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
I was gonna slag your pebble dash off...but I'm a bit worried you might be bigger than me!
Fair point. I hate it. But the house was an old farm cottage that was modernised in the 1970s (before I lived there) and apparently the planning people insisted on it. It's going to get painted white one of these days, then it will look less like a Soviet-era housing block.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Nice, you can drop a bunch of weight by removing that lump of pig iron masquerading as a crank and replacing it with an Aluminium one.

Possibly, but it's the original Biopace and you can't get them any more, and I like it. If I was going for ultimate weight-saving, I would chuck it in the river and buy a new one!

My wife has an Amazon. Since getting her a fast hybrid, and a tandem, it has languished in my shed. This summer my lad said he wanted to go camping with his mates and needed a bike, so I got it out, pumped the tyres up, and off he went, all 17 stone of him. He came back with a big smile and full of his trip.

Excellent.

Raleigh Amazon,

One of the first proper bikes I bought for my eldest son, the green mottled one, OK a bit heavy, but did him well until it was stolen.

The good thing about riding an old Raleigh is you can take your time, even push the bike up hills, no one notices you and you don't need to be a speed merchant, great when you reach a certain age.:rolleyes:

This is very true.

Brand X

Raleigh Amazon,

No doubt about it, what attracts me to old bikes over the latest and sleekest techno-bikes is that I feel under pressure to ride as fast as the bike looks, and I've been overtaken by little old ladies.

ardnacross

Not sure if this is of interest, but here goes.

We bought a matching pair of Raleigh Amazon MTBs back in 1991, brand new from Halfords. Steel frames, no suspension, but moderately good for the times. They have been round Holland on a cycling tour, and for many years we have taken them behind the car or in the caravan or in the caravan and used them for sightseeing and shopping trips in France. They are quite well-travelled, but sadly got badly neglected over the years. We've had several much 'better' bikes alongside the Amazons, but never had the heart to get rid of them. This year, I decided to give them both a bit of lurve.

I stripped the gents bike down to the frame and gave it a good clean. New bearings, everything cleaned and lubed and adjusted. The Shimano GS100 gearset was still working fine, so that stayed, The brakes were impossible to adjust properly, so I gave it some new V-brakes from Halfords (all done as cheaply as possible). It's now got some straight black bars and stubby bar-ends, and is working very well. I'm really pleased with it, and it's definitely a keeper. I'm hoping to upgrade the components over time, with proper polished alloy bars/stem/seatpost (originals were chrome or painted, and now horribly rusty). See my other thread, as I am finding that sourcing parts that would look appropriate is quite difficult. I de-rusted and painted where possible, but it's a temporary measure.

That was this spring, and I intended to do the same for the ladies bike, but other events got in the way and I didn't do it. However, my wife sold her electric bike and had some cash to play with. Rather than buying a new bike, she opted to give it to Halfords for a service. I think we struck lucky. Our local branch has a really keen mechanic and he has done a great job. The Gold service covers pretty much what I did to the gents bike, and her bike is now riding beautifully. I am willing to upgrade hers in the same way I plan for mine, but she likes it as it is. Fine by me.

I know a 90s chain-store MTB is hardly vintage or classic, but they give me a lot of pleasure and I am committed to keeping them both fit and healthy and in regular use. I've walked round the Tredz and Giant stores today looking at bikes, but none of them made me want to trade the Amazon in (mind you, on checking eBay, they seem to be worth about a packet of crisps each). I just don't like modern bikes much. All that grey and black, all those look-at-me logos! Plain, simple and even a little elegant, that's what I like.

No before-and-afters, sadly, but can post photos if anyone is interested.

ardnacross

I read your post and I have a raleigh amazon that I want to replace the tyres and inner tubes that have perished due to being
in the garage for too long it has 26" wheels but the tyres have two different sizes of them front 26x190 and back 26x1.95 is this
the correct tyres?.
I bought it second hand many years ago and have never replaced the tyres so I can only assume they are the original ones.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I read your post and I have a raleigh amazon that I want to replace the tyres and inner tubes that have perished due to being
in the garage for too long it has 26" wheels but the tyres have two different sizes of them front 26x190 and back 26x1.95 is this
the correct tyres?.
I bought it second hand many years ago and have never replaced the tyres so I can only assume they are the original ones.
It's possible if the tyres have different tread patterns but it's more likely one has been renewed due to damage or wear.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If I'm not mistaken, the early 90s Amazons were made from butted K2 cro-moly, basically a Raleigh-only doctored Reynolds 501 tube set.
Any of these decent quality framed rigids are always worth saving. Most rigids made today are at the BSO end of the quality scale, or only just above. Before everyone got hoodwinked by suspension frames, there were some pretty good quality but simple all-terrain machines on the market, that whilst not cheap, weren't silly money either.
I should have an early 90's Reynolds framed Raleigh coming to me soon via a friend. One owner from new apparently, and not a clapped out old heap either. Unseen as yet but worth a punt @£20.!

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Having read these comments, I am glad I have kept it. I have to say the ride is amazingly good. Steel frames rule.

Ardnacross, I think the rims will tolerate a variety of tyre widths. From memory, they were originally 26x1.9, but I am running much narrower semi-slicks now, no problem.

Top Bottom