Raleigh Amazon (gents and ladies)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Not sure if this is of interest, but here goes.

We bought a matching pair of Raleigh Amazon MTBs back in 1991, brand new from Halfords. Steel frames, no suspension, but moderately good for the times. They have been round Holland on a cycling tour, and for many years we have taken them behind the car or in the caravan or in the caravan and used them for sightseeing and shopping trips in France. They are quite well-travelled, but sadly got badly neglected over the years. We've had several much 'better' bikes alongside the Amazons, but never had the heart to get rid of them. This year, I decided to give them both a bit of lurve.

I stripped the gents bike down to the frame and gave it a good clean. New bearings, everything cleaned and lubed and adjusted. The Shimano GS100 gearset was still working fine, so that stayed, The brakes were impossible to adjust properly, so I gave it some new V-brakes from Halfords (all done as cheaply as possible). It's now got some straight black bars and stubby bar-ends, and is working very well. I'm really pleased with it, and it's definitely a keeper. I'm hoping to upgrade the components over time, with proper polished alloy bars/stem/seatpost (originals were chrome or painted, and now horribly rusty). See my other thread, as I am finding that sourcing parts that would look appropriate is quite difficult. I de-rusted and painted where possible, but it's a temporary measure.

That was this spring, and I intended to do the same for the ladies bike, but other events got in the way and I didn't do it. However, my wife sold her electric bike and had some cash to play with. Rather than buying a new bike, she opted to give it to Halfords for a service. I think we struck lucky. Our local branch has a really keen mechanic and he has done a great job. The Gold service covers pretty much what I did to the gents bike, and her bike is now riding beautifully. I am willing to upgrade hers in the same way I plan for mine, but she likes it as it is. Fine by me.

I know a 90s chain-store MTB is hardly vintage or classic, but they give me a lot of pleasure and I am committed to keeping them both fit and healthy and in regular use. I've walked round the Tredz and Giant stores today looking at bikes, but none of them made me want to trade the Amazon in (mind you, on checking eBay, they seem to be worth about a packet of crisps each). I just don't like modern bikes much. All that grey and black, all those look-at-me logos! Plain, simple and even a little elegant, that's what I like.

No before-and-afters, sadly, but can post photos if anyone is interested.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Go ahead , post your photos, I too have a '90's Raleigh pioneer that I wouldn't part with , lovely old bikes.:okay:

I've spent far too much replacing nearly everything on my 90's mtb, but I much prefer cro-mo frame to the equivalent modern alloy bikes.
I'm hoping mine will still be eating the miles for years to come!

I've found the best bet for parts is to find cheep donor bikes.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro

Almost! I think that one is a bit newer than mine. The rear mech looks a lot more modern (mine is the original 100GS) and the chainset is not the Biopace that I have. But broadly similar :smile:

I've spent far too much replacing nearly everything on my 90's mtb, but I much prefer cro-mo frame to the equivalent modern alloy bikes.
I'm hoping mine will still be eating the miles for years to come!

I've found the best bet for parts is to find cheep donor bikes.

The cro-mo frame is the best bit. Not the lightest, but it rides beautifully and - get this - is more comfy on a rough, pitted road than my electric commuter which has front suspenders but an ali frame.

The trouble with donor bikes is that all the bits you want off them have been 'improved' and binned long ago. I have checked out a couple of cheapies, and sure enough they have the original frame and wheels but little else. As mine will have, eventually, I suppose!

I agree about the frame, I find modern alloy frames harsh and unforgiving. Worth the minimal weight penalty imo.
I've been lucky, found a couple of old donor bikes with decent components. Have only bought new stem and seat post. Spent a fortune on tyres and wheels etc though!
Keep on replacing and riding!

Hi bought Raleigh Amazon MTB way back in the 80s
One of the first bikes to have experimental STI gears
The front pod is still running today on an even older bike after 40 thousand miles.
The back axle was as thick as my wrist with an early 7 speed Hiper-glide hub.

The bike was best described as solid, I think it weight in at around 18 Kg.
Now that Retro is in it's been now restored and back on the trails where it it belongs.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Here are a couple of photos and a link to the album:

IMG_2232_zpsuxn1opqx.jpg

IMG_2238_zpslnhzusp4.jpg

http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/blackdog2012/library/Amazon

Comments, abuse and suggestions all welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_2232_zpsuxn1opqx.jpg
    IMG_2232_zpsuxn1opqx.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 840
  • IMG_2238_zpslnhzusp4.jpg
    IMG_2238_zpslnhzusp4.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 191

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Here are a couple of photos and a link to the album:

IMG_2232_zpsuxn1opqx.jpg

IMG_2238_zpslnhzusp4.jpg

http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/blackdog2012/library/Amazon

Comments, abuse and suggestions all welcome.

What d'fuc is that unlevel paving about?? :cycle:

Seriously though, nice looking bikes! :okay:

Attachments

• IMG_2232_zpsuxn1opqx.jpg
    IMG_2232_zpsuxn1opqx.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2238_zpslnhzusp4.jpg
    IMG_2238_zpslnhzusp4.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 147

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Nice bikes.:okay:
I have happy memories of my Amazon back in the 90's, that I used to commute 12 miles a day on (what was I thinking...?) and keep an eye out for another one.
trouble is the ones that pop up are either local and knackered, or in decent fettle but at the other end of the country!

They were / are a touch heavy by modern standard though. Mind you, I can remember getting a visit from the fairy on my way to work and having not replaced my spare tube from the last visit, running the remaining two miles to work with it over my shoulder :eek: - I don't think I could do that now! :laugh:

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Nice bikes.:okay:
I have happy memories of my Amazon back in the 90's, that I used to commute 12 miles a day on (what was I thinking...?) and keep an eye out for another one.
trouble is the ones that pop up are either local and knackered, or in decent fettle but at the other end of the country!

I don't think I have seen a decent one, ever. They all seem to have suffered the fate of anything which has low value - neglected, butchered, cannibalised, and covered in last year's Dulux.

They were / are a touch heavy by modern standard though. Mind you, I can remember getting a visit from the fairy on my way to work and having not replaced my spare tube from the last visit, running the remaining two miles to work with it over my shoulder :eek: - I don't think I could do that now! :laugh:

Yes, it's not a lightweight, but not too bad if straight-line speed is not a concern. There is a virtue in something that just keeps going, no matter what. But I wouldn't fancy carrying mine a hundred yards, never mind two miles. I suppose we were all younger then :smile:

Top Bottom