Raleigh ebike .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
So more or less have my mind made up on the Raleigh motus grand tour.is it worth the money have k picked a good one.

Stul

Veteran
..I was going to get a Motus but ended up with a Centros, as it was "on offer", and had the hub gears and belt drive which I wanted.....nice bike so I am sure the Motus would be fine...

CXRAndy

Guru
So more or less have my mind made up on the Raleigh motus grand tour.is it worth the money have k picked a good one.

Looks a good bike,. What delivery delay is there? Or are you lucky to get one in stock somewhere?

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
im in Ireland they have my size in stock but id like to get a test ride before i part with my cash ,oh shop is 30miles away and with this lockdown i cant travel more than 3 miles.
id like to hear reports on anyone that rides one .
i ve checking utube all the reviews seem good so far.

I have a Raleigh Motus - the basic one not the GT

I have been very pleased with it - I have done over 3500 miles on it in the last year and it has been great
only problem has been when it got blown over and trashed the gears - hardly Raleigh's fault!!!

Oh - and a several punctures - which has been fixed by some puncture protection goo - on top of the 'punctureproof' tyres
I have worn out the rear tyre - but then I really shouldn't go round roundabouts so fast

The motor bit has been faultless - come in pretty smootly - and far better then the 3 hub based ebikes I have experience of.

Only word of warning
the Bosch system seems to be about the best around - by quite a long way
BUT - they do kinda nail it all down - in the unlikely event that it does go wrong it is unlikely that it can be repaired if the problem is internal

and - when the battery finally gets too work out - you may well be stuck with replacing it with proper Bosch one - no recelling it because the BMS will detect it and brick itself
but then the battery seem to be pretty damn good - no messing about where it goes from 4 bars to 1 bar in 100 yards upa hill then back to 4 bars on the level - then 1 bar 5 minutes later - then stopping
Which some cheap cheaper system tend to do
and it doesn't care how you charge it - just plug it into the proper charger and the internal systems will make sure it charges properly - no warnings about what order to plug things in - or warning about unplugging it the second it is fully charged - it is properly designed and looks after itself

TLDR - Yup - great Bosch system around a decent Raleigh frame and good extra bits like suspension

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
Thanks for that ,im a bit worried about shape of the bars,i always rode drops never that shape of bars.
my problem is i have lower back problems the hills kill me thats the reason im going for electric.
ill never cycle the miles i used to well not just yet to sore and to unfit but a few 20 mile spins come the summer will do me fine. i miss getting out on the bike hopefull this new machine will be the start of my comeback.thanks guys.

bars are a bit wide - but the angle of the bit you hold is kinda natural - probably why so many Dutch cycle are similar

anyway - swapping bars is quite cheap - LBS even offered to do mine for freeish when I bought the bike

and anyway - the GT has better bar adjustment than mine so it would be easier to mess about to get the right feel

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
strange going to an straight bars ebike after a lifetime of riding road bikes and drop bars..
thanks for advice much appreciated.
jags.

gbb

Legendary Member
My wife has the Motus, not the GT tho. She loves it. No mechanicals or motor / battery problems, she's had it over a year now i think

rivers

How far can I go?
My wife has a Captus, which is the same frame as the Motus, but not sure of other differences. She loves it, no major issues in the 2+ years she has had it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You could chop the bars if they prove to be too wide.

Handlebar real estate is another consideration, but the process itself is simple enough using a hacksaw or cheap pipe cutter.

Cutting the bars off bars that curve may be more difficult than with flat bars - because they curve round to form a sort of handle area - and you don't want to make that too short

Maybe better just getting some MTB bars????

Top Bottom