Raleigh M-Trax Bonded Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User32269

20150608_190356.jpg

I have done many hundreds of miles on my old 1990s M-TRAX.
The tubes are bonded into the lugs, given the bikes age and mileage, what is the life expectancy of the bond?
I've tried a bit of research but am unable to find any reliable info.

Drago

Legendary Member
If its in good order, not damaged or corroded should last indefinitely. Then joints are stronger than welding.

OP
OP
U

User32269

Thanks chaps. I only really thought about how old the bike actually is recently and began to worry about what the bonding agent was and if it deteriorated over time.

Will just carry on riding it! Oh, and will sue Drago when the top tube comes off going down Billinge Hill!

Last edited by a moderator:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks chaps. I only really thought about how old the bike actually is recently and began to worry about what the bonding agent was and if it deteriorated over time.

Will just carry on riding it! Oh, and will sue Drago when the top tube comes off going down Billinge Hill!

i always think if something old has not failed by now then there is a good chance it will keep going , but you try telling my dad that

i was offered a nice m- trax road bike a few weeks ago but very limited info on them at all , seem to take over from the dyna tech's

OP
OP
U

User32269

I have only ever seen one road version, had same Reynolds K2 tubing as mine. Only info I've really sourced was that it was produced under the Raleigh Special Products label in late 80s to early 90s.
They do a ti version of the mb, not sure about road version.
I love mine....as long as the glue holds up!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Do people with crabon Bucks worry about the glue (resin) coming undone? Isn't it the same stuff and even if it did fail I can't imagine them all failing catastrophically at the same time. So should be ok as long as there's no visible or obvious issues.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?

Why dont you just admit that you're wanting an excuse to buy a new bike eh.

OP
OP
U

User32269

Do people with crabon Bucks worry about the glue (resin) coming undone? Isn't it the same stuff and even if it did fail I can't imagine them all failing catastrophically at the same time. So should be ok as long as there's no visible or obvious issues.
My thoughts were more about the age of the bike, it's a possibly quarter of a century plus. I assume technology has moved on and the resin used on carbon is different.
Not gonna worry too much, my days of pushing frames to the max have long gone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom