Raleigh Pioneer forks.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nagden

Über Member
I am restoring my 1990s Raleigh Pioneer. Unfortunately the bearing housing on the forks is completely shot. I have seen a few on ebay but would like to know if there are any other channels I can try or an alternative fork that would fit. Thanks

midlife

Guru
Do you mean the crown race is trashed or something else? I would have thought that the bearings/ races would be replaceable

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
AFAIK, the headset parts on a Pioneer are standard ISO, not Raleigh's own specials. I've never needed to do any more than regrease my Pioneer bearings though.
The weird Raleigh-specific stuff tends to be mostly found on the old 3-speeds.

goldcoastjon

Fork crowns are sometimes malformed, causing the headsets to misalign all the time and resulting in grinding. Have an experienced shop check out the frame's headset, head tube, and fork crown for their alignment. If they are not parallel, facing them with the proper tools is not expensive and is a likely remedy. You may (or may not) also need a new headset or headset components, depending on what the cause is found to be.

midlife

Guru
Stick a new headset on it, Tange for a tenner will do and YouTube will give some steps on how to do it with tools you likely have

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The races are not part of the forks or frame, so if those bits are giving problems, then remove them at least so they can be examined and the mating surfaces they sit on checked for corrosion or debris that might render them seating wonky. In my experience even the cheapest headset parts work fine if they are assembled square and lubricated, and I run some really ratty, well-used machinery. The Pioneer factory-installed stuff won't be high end, but Raleigh won't have used junk quality parts either.
Be aware that when you fit caged ball race bearings into a cup & cone appication like a headset or BB, there is a right way and a wrong way of inserting them. If you get it wrong the cages carry the loads not the balls and they will be very rough.

OP
OP
nagden

nagden

Über Member
Many thanks for all you replies. I have enclosed a picture of the damaged area of the fork.
IMG_20210517_160806.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Never seen one that shot before

I have, just the once. On a Halfords own-brand 3-speed. Probably a high mileage, outdoor stored Pioneer that has never recieved any headset lubrication maintenance in the 25-30 years since it was made. You can clearly see on this headset the depressions at regular intervals where a caged ball bearing has worn through the case hardening as the steering has spent most of the time in the straight ahead position.

OP
OP
nagden

nagden

Über Member
It has not been ridden for the last 20 years. I used it as a commuter bike in the UK and it was not that old before it started to grind but it was really comfortable to ride. I bought another and the pioneer was made redundant with the aim of getting sorted. 20 yrs later à move to France several 2nd French bikes I have decided to give her a new life. I have sent the details of the fork and photos to SJS cycles for a new headset.

Top Bottom