Raleigh Record Ace 12 frameset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Just got offered one. I've not seen it but is 531 throughout and my size so I'm tempted. Just wondered if anybody has riddden one. I know they're not a patch on the early ones but it might be worth a punt. The frame number is WG 2001138... i'm not sure if the 2001 represents the year?? Can anybody tell me anything please?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ooooh - I had one of these back in the day. Can't really go wrong with a well-built 531 frame. Get it. It'll last you forever :thumbsup:

02GF74

Über Member
is it beige/brown in colour? Pretty sure I had one - did loads of miles on it and was very comfortble. Due to some rustiness, I repainted it and now it sits on the turbo trainer.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Morning chaps and thanks for the replies. Not sure of its vintage. I dont think the 2001 frame number is relevant to the date of manufacture cos he now tells me it takes 27" wheels which is a bit of a pain cos I have a shed full of 700cs.. I may be tempted if its cheap but this bloke also has a Raleigh frameset with 853 tubing and thats my size too. Not sure how good 853 is mind.
BTW for anybody within easy reach of Preston theres a cyclejumble at Longridge Civic Cente ( M6 J31 ) on the 21st I'm told its a decent one

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
853 is the hound's cojones - grab it if you can. As to 27"/700c - they're the same, near as makes no difference. Stick on a couple from your shed and adjust the brake pads by about 1/4" and you're in business. But go for the 853 if you can (assuming it's sound).

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
swee said:
Ta SP. I'm more of a 531 sorta guy ( ie old ) so I didnt know much about trendy new tubing. I was daft enough to ring the owner of the 853 frame and tell him its a decent bit of stuff. Only after that did I think I might want to buy it myself... mug or what!. I did see this frame yesterday and apart from the H in Raleigh being a bit crumpled it looked new. I want it even more now ;)

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Hilldodger said:
We have an early 80's one about to go on ebay:smile:

Has yours got sloping copperplate style writing on the decals HD. I'm still trying to confirm the year of this one ( in fern green ) Anybody have a rough idea when 27" was replaced by 700C? That'll give me a clue
ta Bob

02GF74

Über Member
from memory 531 was like the base, then 653, 753 (?) and 853 tops. google for what this all means and the hierarchy. there were others like 513???

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
531 was 'the standard' - and a very good standard at that. (Tho' it came in several flavours, some better than others.) It wasn't exactly the base - others came lower - 500 for one (tho' I've never heard of 513). Broadly speaking, the higher the number, the better. There's debate over whether there's any substantive difference between 653 and 753...but that aside, if you assume that the higher the better, you won't go far wrong.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I had a 501 raleigh record ace, asked the local raleigh dealer what the difference was (he'd not sold me it either) 501 could be TIg welded and 531 had to be brazed.

In his opinion not that much difference in handling or weight...

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I happen to have...

an Ice Green one with brown highlights from the early 80's. I believe different Record Aces with very different specs were made over the years though.

Over the past couple of years I have shed the weight of my 25" one to about 10 kgs. It might be just the dose of nostalgia but I think it offers an amazing ride.

It has not been too difficult to restore it but if you replace the original 27" wheels with 700c's then like me you might have no choice but to replace the original brakes with long reach ones, which are not that hard to find. To go better with Campag Record components I have replaced mine with Ambrosio's, but I believe both Tektro and Shimano make them.

If yours is the same as mine you can write me if you encounter any problem, the original spec is attached:

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks very much for the info and the kind offer , and welcome to Cycle Chat BTW. I'm still of two minds whether to buy it. He seller has a box of bits he took off it and they were pretty low spec but as you say, its difficult to fault a 531 throughout frame and ( it seems ) a pair of alloy 27" wheels for £30. Its all a question of what has to go to make room for it!
Bob

hubgearfreak

Über Member
RecordAceFromNew said:
I believe different Record Aces with very different specs were made over the years though.

welcome new'un. you're dead right, the name was used for decades..

here's a 50's brochure:biggrin:

06-record-ace.jpg

Top Bottom