Raleigh record ace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jeremyf

Regular
This bicycle has sat outside for too long. A few years ago replaced BB cables etc. I am getting rather old (70) but I would like to restore the frame and see it in its former glory. Hope you guys get that. I live in Spain and the sun has destroyed the enamel. The frame says Worksop (Carlton) '82 so obviously around the time of the closure. A local will strip the old Weinmann and Campag bits and ultrasonically clean plus no doubt the Shimano XT (wonderful). Question though where do I send the frame and forks?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum Jeremy.

When you're allowed please post some pics. Where did the XT come from :ohmy:?
No idea where you'd get it re enameled in Spain. If you can't find anyone maybe find a local car bodywork shop and see if they're willing to help? Full restore won't be cheap but only you know if it's worth it.
Parts should be easy.
You should be able to get the decals from H.Lloyd https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/

OP
OP
J

Jeremyf

Regular
Hello and :welcome: to the forum Jeremy.

When you're allowed please post some pics. Where did the XT come from :ohmy:?
No idea where you'd get it re enameled in Spain. If you can't find anyone maybe find a local car bodywork shop and see if they're willing to help? Full restore won't be cheap but only you know if it's worth it.
Parts should be easy.
You should be able to get the decals from H.Lloyd https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/

OP
OP
J

Jeremyf

Regular
An original RRA was stolen. Saw the guy a week or two later and chased on wife's Dawes but the so and so have me the slip. That was bought at Rory O Brien's in Romford. To this day I remember the incredible feel and magic when I walked out and gingerly rode it home. Not cheap!
Bought a replacement which is the one I have. This had a Campag derailleur which sheared in the climbs of S Wales and bought another. Shimano 105???. That sheared too. I was an animal in those days. Guess I bought the XT in the mid 90's for £35 and it proved to be the business.
Will send some pics of the bike it in its current sad state.
On a plus note met an ex pro and still up there cyclist who will speak to a Spanish mechanic and send for re-enamelling. Just hope the seat post plays game. What colour? I think flamboyant green.
Sorry to go at length but very excited to ride again. Getting old 70, but anticipate pleasure that you guys will surely understand.

philtalksbx

Über Member
Colour is a very personal choice. I chose to tone down the pale green metallic on my frame and went with white last summer. As above, the H Lloyd decals are well worth it.
903D6984-DD85-488E-B08F-39000CD61A45.jpeg
The frame is brilliant and it rides so smoothly. Lots of component swaps planned this year to go back to 3x7 on the original wheels. Good luck with yours and keep posting the updates.

OP
OP
J

Jeremyf

Regular
Well Monday is a big day! Off to a mechanic to strip the frame. Fingers crossed for the seat post. Shot blasting and re-enamelling later don't quite know when. Again hope the 82 frame is passable. Just me, given those conditionals, it will turn out metallic green. Suits me. I will take pictures before it goes and keep you updated. Better I think to send before and after if it can go that far.
Hmmm the cost will not be silly but about what its value will eventually be. Not the point. Just hope to see it in a beautiful state again. It carried me out there and a commuter work horse as well. Just love it.

OP
OP
J

Jeremyf

Regular
I would like to thank Chris Hazael for his help. Without him this project would not have happened.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If it's the black and gold Record Ace in Reynolds Chromo tubing, they ride really nicely! Lots were in 25" frames as was the style for a while....

OP
OP
J

Jeremyf

Regular
The frame is now re-enamelled and pictures to follow when I get it back on Monday. The mechanic could not remove the seat post so easy does it cutting it out I think.

Attachments

• IMG-20210607-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210607-WA0001.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-20210605-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20210605-WA0010.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-20210605-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20210605-WA0006.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
J

Jeremyf

Regular
The clean up has started. Lovely job with the re-enamelling.
Starting from the ground up. Mavic alloy rims cleaned of most of the grey using Mother's. Good but a second going over necessary to remove last of the small black pits.
Question should I attempt to polish/ clean with a drill attachment for best finish?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Have you managed to get the seat post out? I'm not sure I'd have re -enamelled it before sorting that major obstacle.

tin foil wet with water or lemon juice is got for cleaning up the non painted parts - chrome alloy etc before finishing with Mothers

OP
OP
J

Jeremyf

Regular
Have you managed to get the seat post out? I'm not sure I'd have re -enamelled it before sorting that major obstacle.

tin foil wet with water or lemon juice is got for cleaning up the non painted parts - chrome alloy etc before finishing with Mothers
Thank you for your reply. Apologies for the delay in responding. Hubs came up and the stubborn pits cleaned up with mothers and fine wire wool.
Left the seat post for another day. Will cut out and replace.
But**** !!!!the fork threads have given up. In my innocence thought the bottom race and cups would tap in too. Fortunately have a LBS. For the moment assume the threading is 26tpi and researching the best way forward. As Van Morrison said "it's too late to stop now."
Any threads help most welcome. Sometimes one feels like an idiot!

OP
OP
J

Jeremyf

Regular

Sent the frame off and came back with the seat post still there. Grrr but dealing with Spanish

midlife

Guru
Headset will be 1" ISO standard 24 tpi if the frame is 1982. Do you mean the threads on the fork steerer are stripped?

Top Bottom