Raleigh Royale circa 1968? 5speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Brummie53

The current derailleur is a Simplex and was replaced in the first couple of years when I flicked up a stick when going down a track and mangled it.

I can’t remember whether the original was a Simplex or not.
I have to say I’m impressed by the knowledge and advice of all you folks on this site. I’m sure I’ll be picking your brains a few times over this renovation !
Many thanks

Gunk

Guru
I would try and save the Simplex it’s a nice quality and slightly unusual rear mech.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
This is the sort of project I like! A bit of work but highly fixable - and it will make a nice bike. The frame looks quite good so there doesn't seem any need for a respray (which has saved you quite a bit of money). All other parts should clean up fine, and what don't can be easily replaced. Good luck with it! :okay:

Gunk

Guru
Here is one I did earlier, it was in very similar condition.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/raleigh-royal-tourer-rebuild.262163/

OP
OP
B

Brummie53

I’m almost ready to start on the restoration of the Raleigh Royale 5 speed but am still trying to pin down its age . As previously said I can’t remember exactly when I had the bike (from new) but it was definitely between the last two years at school and the first two years at work so 1966-1970. I checked underneath the bottom bracket and was surprised to find two sets of numbers 2554051 and 64927 GC. I’ve looked at sites such as Sheldon Brown and Kurt Kaminer and looked at info on Raleigh records but can’t find anything that seems to fit my bike . Can anyone help to throw any light on it?

Attachments

• BC3F19F2-C7EB-45E3-B36A-ACE80C6E01AE.jpeg
    BC3F19F2-C7EB-45E3-B36A-ACE80C6E01AE.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 612766F8-702D-4969-8649-DB7F877F98D2.jpeg
    612766F8-702D-4969-8649-DB7F877F98D2.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 8

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I’m almost ready to start on the restoration of the Raleigh Royale 5 speed but am still trying to pin down its age . As previously said I can’t remember exactly when I had the bike (from new) but it was definitely between the last two years at school and the first two years at work so 1966-1970. I checked underneath the bottom bracket and was surprised to find two sets of numbers 2554051 and 64927 GC. I’ve looked at sites such as Sheldon Brown and Kurt Kaminer and looked at info on Raleigh records but can’t find anything that seems to fit my bike . Can anyone help to throw any light on it?
Looks like a 'Carlton' built frame to me (Wrapover seatstays) :becool:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Are there any date codes on the hubs and back of the calipers ?

Should scrub up nice enough.

midlife

Guru
Frame number looks like it's from the rogue frame numbering years 1968-1973. As mentioned some of the kit might have a date code on it.

OP
OP
B

Brummie53

Thanks to all, will have a look at any possible date codes and get back to you. Apart from hubs and callipers is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Drago

Legendary Member
That'll make a nice bike, well worth doing a proper job on. I love the Gzb centrepulls.

The good news about the mech is they're moderately collectable because they're so unusual, so give it a good clean and you can flog that on ebay to raise some funds for the rebuild, unless youre dead set on an original resto.

Dr Mike

apologies if this is a zombie thread, but I've an interest in TI Raleigh exports.
From 1963, Raleighs and their badge engineered siblings were manufactured under under license in Hastings New Zealand by Morrison Industries. This was done to get around the severe import restrictions that stayed in place until the mid-1980s. However, until the mid to late 1970s, Morrisons confined themselves to producing Sports Models, children's bikes and, later, a local variant of the 20. Sportier models were still imported, often TKD, from the UK.
I picked up this (Worksop produced?) Royale (yes, there's an "e") to scavenge the Milremo stem, GB Courier brakes, and nice three pin cranks for another project (a 63 Jack Taylor Sports). It is, however, too good to break up. Even the brake housing is original. I need to figure what seat it had. Possibly a Wrights, or low-end Brooks.
The catalogue says this 5 speed hi-ten bike sold for NZD 75.00 in 1970. That's NZD 1277.00 in today's money, which would just about get you a Claris-equipped alloy road bike (if you wanted one)
Other bits include Normandy hubs spoked Continental style (i.e. 36h F & R) to Sturmey Archer 27 x 1-1/4 chromed steel rims. Shifting is done by the gorgeously gaudy Simplex Prestige.
These bikes were marketed under different brand names, including Rudge and Carlton.
Interestingly, the model up, complete with 531 frame and Campagnolo Gran Sport derailleurs was marketed in NZ as the Record, which in the US market, was a name reserved for Raleigh's cheapest 10 speed (according to Sheldon Brown). More popular was the 531 Carlton Competition, usually in white & blue livery. These were a hot bike with the hard-charging 70s/80s club touring scene in Christchurch NZ.
These pre-10 speed boom sports tourers were never around in huge numbers. 7 or 8 years later, Morrisons would start producing their own "10 Speeds", the Raleigh Arena and the somewhat nicer Morrison Monark. Though they sold incredibly well, neither were as good looking as the Royale, which looks classier than it actually is.
Hope this fills in some detail on the Royale.

Top Bottom