Raleigh RX Comp, Merida CX 500 or a Boardman CX...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

die_aufopferung

You've already had plenty of sound advice and seem keen on the PX London road (which looks like a very nice bike but I've never ridden one so can't really comment) but to add a little bit:

You're massively overthinking the brakes - the differences between the various types is, in all honesty, marginal. There are only a couple disc brake calipers I would say "never use" and none of those are on any of the bikes you've mentioned so far. Whether they're Spyres, BB5s, BB7s, SRAM Hyrdos, they'll all have no difficulty stopping you even in abysmal weather - you're more likely to encounter problems with the tyres themselves losing traction and skidding on slick mud than any failure of braking power.

SRAM gearing, well, I prefer Shimano myself but the Rivals are really good if you are willing to stretch your budget.

The Boardman CX Team, although you've not mentioned it past your first post - you do know it's a single chainring on the front? I wouldn't really recommend the 1x for road riding tbh as you can easily run out of gear on flat roads let alone down hills.

Don't worry too much about a carbon front fork getting damaged on kerbs and potholes, they're not as fragile as people imagine - I bunny hop/bang/bump my carbon forks/frames all the time during daily commutes and never had a problem with any of them in 6+ years.

And just to throw one more bike into the ring - I use a Pinnacle Arkose as my all-weather commuter. A very solid bike, all the fittings for rack and guards, and plenty of clearance even for my studded winter tyres under said full guards.

GlenBen

Über Member
Purely on looks, I pick the raleigh.

OP
OP
jwarwick

jwarwick

I had meant to ask, how difficult is the process for adding cross top levers? Could anyone give any info on how it's done?

Thanks for the info about carbon, reassuring to say the least.

I think I'd like to go for a better brand than boardman, especially due to the inferior groupset... Which would mean Merida, Raleigh or Planet X... Does anyone have any experience on the Merida, or the Planet X?? Especially interested in the quality of some of the 'free' accessories offered by PX on the London Road...

vickster

Legendary Member
I had meant to ask, how difficult is the process for adding cross top levers? Could anyone give any info on how it's done?

Thanks for the info about carbon, reassuring to say the least.

I think I'd like to go for a better brand than boardman, especially due to the inferior groupset... Which would mean Merida, Raleigh or Planet X... Does anyone have any experience on the Merida, or the Planet X?? Especially interested in the quality of some of the 'free' accessories offered by PX on the London Road...
Just get the LBS to do when you buy the bike. Indeed one of the Boardman CX models comes with them ready fitted, as I saw in Halfords. You cannot have with hydraulic discs

OP
OP
jwarwick

jwarwick

Thanks everyone for your advice/guidance, I've ordered a PX London Road with SRAM Rival 22 and BB7 disc brakes... Will update when I find out a build and delivery date :okay: - excited!^_^

See two posts above yours, too late...
Note to self .
Must read ALL of the thread !!!
:tongue:

OP
OP
jwarwick

jwarwick

:laugh:

I did like the look of the Raleigh, but it a) didn't come with an 11-32, only 11-28, and more faff involved because this is a short cage, and 32 is a medium, b) it comes from Halfords (I know they've cleaned their act up, but still... bad experiences with my local branch), and c) it didn't seem to be available in my size (unless I fancied a VERY long cycle ride home...).

Build date is Wednesday (24th)... Currently making lists of tools, spares, accessories etc. etc. and planning out a workbench and tool board :tongue:

david k

Hi
I have the 2014 CX comp as my avatar picture

I love it, had issues with the bottom bracket but they sorted it, gears are very good, everything works as it should, comfy etc.

I changed the tyres, been meaning to sell the originals, apparently they are quite expensive

Last edited:
Top Bottom