Raleigh Team Banana Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I saw this on the Raleigh Twenty FB page and thought of you. Someone has blinged up an R20 in the same colours.

midlife

Guru
The BB looks like a Raleigh threaded one. The switch to BSC/ISO was gradual and started with the high end bikes. The cheaper ones kept 26tpi threading until the late 80s.

Yep, I worked in a Raleigh 5 Star Dealer in the 70's and the change over was a real pain, when I left there the old style "sit up and beg" bikes were Raleigh threads, some still had rod brakes and locks in the forks! the "racers" had mostly changed though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep, I worked in a Raleigh 5 Star Dealer in the 70's and the change over was a real pain, when I left there the old style "sit up and beg" bikes were Raleigh threads, some still had rod brakes and locks in the forks! the "racers" had mostly changed though.
Yep my 86 Raleigh City still had cottered cranks.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member

It's that mostly that causes the problems.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
My seat and post arrived today.

E37D9758-C8B5-4E7D-9E7F-39D4E6245E10.jpeg

I wasn’t happy with the original, too ugly, too heavy and uncomfortable

3A4789B2-3308-4586-B3C7-3746ABA120F9.jpeg

Really pleased with the change

46E63834-B61C-4ED1-8C63-E11BE93D91C2.jpeg

I Just need to tweak the adjustment, I’ll do that at the weekend.

I also weighed it, just out of curiosity, it comes in at around 11kgs which isn’t bad for a low spec pig iron bike.

Last edited:

adehooper

Always sad to see a bike like this gone left to go rusty, for me I'd give it a full restoration. Looks like a great project though.

Top Bottom