rammed a pedestrian today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BentMikey said:
Then modify with a 2L coke bottle as reservoir. Perfect since I can hide the bottle away in my tailfairing, maybe not so practical for an upright. I only have to charge mine once in a while now.

No doubt more effective than my 2 motorcycle horns.Airzound is very loud but just one disadvantage (I found normally it ran out of air).I just love tooting the horns now (ooer).

I had an incident with a motorist on Stamford Street on the approach to Waterloo.I was aware the motorist in front of me was poodling along while writing in a notebook,so I gave him a blast on the (electronic) horn and was a bit stunned when he swerved madly to the right.I really startled him.:biggrin:

Plax

Guru
I still have vivid memories of walking along the joint ped/cycle path in Mumbles in my uni days. My housemate was walking quite near to the cycle lane when a cyclist came past (middle aged man). He had an umbrella sticking out. Caught on the jacket of my housemate and they both went arse over tit. We shouldn't have really laughed, but being of the peurile student age we all did. Cyclist was well pissed off and not apologetic at all to my house mate. The arse, his umbrella was technically overlapping the ped zone so he was mainly to blame. I think they are a waste of time myself (cycle paths that is, not middle aged men. Although I'll trade my middle aged man in for a younger model if anyone's interested? He currently comes with a foul temper and a dent in his car), all the cycle paths round here are used as normal pavements and/or just end unexpectedly.

Wolf04

Plax said:
I still have vivid memories of walking along the joint ped/cycle path in Mumbles in my uni days. My housemate was walking quite near to the cycle lane when a cyclist came past (middle aged man). He had an umbrella sticking out. Caught on the jacket of my housemate and they both went arse over tit. We shouldn't have really laughed, but being of the peurile student age we all did. Cyclist was well pissed off and not apologetic at all to my house mate. The arse, his umbrella was technically overlapping the ped zone so he was mainly to blame. I think they are a waste of time myself (cycle paths that is, not middle aged men. Although I'll trade my middle aged man in for a younger model if anyone's interested? He currently comes with a foul temper and a dent in his car), all the cycle paths round here are used as normal pavements and/or just end unexpectedly.
Agree totally about segregated cycle/ped paths. I think shared paths are safer as you have to give way to peds by default. On segregated paths, peds cross into the cycle lane so often as to make the segregation pointless. I also agree about middle aged men........Oh I mean.........
Middle aged Pete

mr_hippo said:
Trillian, are you training to be a tabloid journalist? The headline reads "rammed a pedestrian today" but you say "i bumped into her at a similar pace to two people walking into each other" Hardly rammed, is it?

Well his punctuation and capitalisation are spot on for The Sun. :tongue:

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
- how many people driver their cars at a speed appropriate to the distance they can see?

the majority who have bothered to take extended / advanced tuition after passing the obligitary driving test.

BentMikey said:
Is it true that they are something of an insurance risk because they believe themselves to be superior drivers?

My bike and car insurance both went down when I got my Silver RoSPA ADR Motorbike qualification, so on that basis I think I would say no.

Something is that my instructor drummed into me was not to think outside the ride - i.e. any thoughts I have off the bike about how good I am compared to other road users disappear when I get on the bike, and are replaced with the system. On the bike, my brain is constantly running through the system, to the exclusion of random thoughts on the whole.

It very effectively teaches you to asses the situation, and your limitations, and how to ride within that.

"Ride with your head, listen to your gut and ignoor your heart." was one of his favorite sayings.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The simple answer is to pass peds the way we all would like cars to pass cyclists, slow down if you need to and give them plenty of room. Not the way that most drivers pass us...

Top Bottom