Rammed From Behind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I've read this thread with interest.

I definitely think this guy was a bit of a nut job, and one who has road rage. While I don't know precisely which gesticulations you made, it really doesn't matter to me -he should have just driven on ignoring them anyway. The fact he reversed and came after you, AND hit you should give the police a clue. You can't get more deliberate than that.

On the other hand I know that resources are spread thinly these days, and I'm sure that if no "harm" is done, and it's a traffic issue, the police will just go with a caution. Economically, it just makes sense, let alone the police not knowing the full story. I'm not saying it's right or justifying it, just that I think it's the case.

I also think if you want to, you can push the matter yourself. Sitting at a keyboard it's easy for me to say go for it, and to push it as far as possible. Pursuing this matter with the police, making the video open to viewing, letting his employer know are, I'm sure, all ways you can do this. Honestly, I don't know what I'd do -in one respect I think this guy needs some serious retraining or consequences, on the other hand there's no physical damage done, you don't know if he's a real nutter, or someone who lost it just this one time (though I somehow I doubt it).

My ideal solution would be for his employer to find out about his actions and act accordingly -without you getting in the middle. Good luck.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I'm sure that if no "harm" is done, and it's a traffic issue, the police will just go with a caution.

I think a formal police caution would not be a bad outcome; at least it will be on record and will be available for reference if any further incidents occur. (Plus, of course, civil claims against the driver for damages, etc.)

calypsored525

Dont post often but just discovered the driver has posted his 'version' on the pepipoo forum.
No mention of his road rage or the fact that he hit the OP in the lay-by - in fact he says he "I braked in behind him" which is a nice understatement.
Hopefully when this is resolved the OP can post the outcome on there as well.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but haven't read through all the recent posts

http://forums.pepipo...showtopic=64114

Dan B

Disengaged member
Is the standard of legal advice on pepipoo as good as their driving advice ("i do not believe there was anything wrong in your original pass")?

I'd keep an eye on that first post, as apparently it has been changed to remove something "more important"

Its what happened after the initial incident which the OP has removed from his initial post that should give the biggest concern.

Doesn't help that in the video he has no hands on the wheel before he has stopped... (my guess was getting the door and seat belt at the same time). The door was open before the stop as well..

calypsored525

I'd keep an eye on that first post, as apparently it has been changed to remove something "more important"

I didnt pick up on that ... is there a way to see what a post said before it was edited?

A response on there says "The OP was not quite so sure in the original post which he quite wisely edited". This is in response to a previous post saying "the op is absolute that no contact took place and nobody fell off".

That would seem to suggest the driver admitted in his original post that a collision may have occured. Be interesting to see what he said previously before editing.

I'm going to paste the drivers current version as I wouldnt be suprised if it gets deleted once he knows that cycle chat knows what he knows.

Hi everyone, I am worried sick and need advice.

I was driving a works vehicle (private hire) to a work colleges house yesterday morning down a quite residential road, a cyclist was riding in front of me, he was a couple of feet from the kerb, as I got closer, he looked in his rear view mirror that was fitted and he drifted towards the centre of the road, as nothing was coming I over took him using the opposite side of the road, I was travelling well within the speed limit. he actually drifted towards the middle of the road as I passed him and he blew his air horn that he also has fitted to his bike. I checked my mirror to make sure I was safe to move back across to the correct side of the road and the cyclist was gesticulating at me, I thought his behaviour was bizarre but I carried on. at the end of the road there were traffic lights which I stopped at. the cyclist who still had my attention caught up with me I could see he was saying something and he had positioned himself so that he could be seen in my right side mirror. however the lights changed at this point and I started moving forward. He then gesticulated again whilst shouting at me which I couldn't work out. I was baffled and annoyed, so I stopped and reversed back to the stop line at the lights, by now he had moved to the side of the road towards a lay-by, he was still looking at me saying something I couldn't work out, and he stopped in the lay-by, the lights were still green so I turned left and into the lay-by behind him (this all happened in seconds). I braked in behind him. I got out and asked him why he had been calling me a "******" and what was his problem. The cyclist said I tried to kill him. I said "what are you talking about!" I then said you can't go through life shouting and calling people a ****** just because you feel like it" he said "I didn't". I then realised this was a childish encounter and got back in my minibus and drove off, I had to turn around at the roundabout and come back the way I had been, and saw a woman talking to the cyclist that may have witnessed the whole thing. I thought by now that I left the scene without giving my details in case any accusations were made so I turned around again and went back, the cyclist was now stood there on his mobile phone, so I again pulled into he lay-by and said "I thought I had better give you my details so you didn't accuse me of anything he said to the officer? he was speaking to, oh he has come back and is being abusive, I said no I just want to give you my details, I said my name and address which he repeated to whoever he was talking to, I then drove off again.

I was annoyed at myself for putting myself in that position, and have just found out that this cyclist is actually quite well known for driving around my local town recording what he deems to be dangerous drivers then posts them on you tube, he did have something on his head that could have been a camera, and one guy I spoke to said he actually provokes drivers for reaction to get good footage.

The cyclist did not fall off or anything and there was not a mark on his bike, I did not threaten him at all, I did raise my voice and I may have called him a idiot.

I'm worried he is going to accuse me at driving my minibus at him. Which I swear I didn't, which would result in a ban? which would be job loss etc etc.

Can anyone give me advice here please, that may stop making me feel so anxious.

Thank you very much in advance

I have since found footage of the incident on youtube, he actually has 2 cameras one on the back one on his head, although I did get very close, I didn't touch his bike. It also shows that when I was over taking him he purposely moved towards the centre of the road so that It looked like I was overtaking him a lot closer than I should have, he made sure that when he gestured at me his camera didn't pick it up, and he has stated I rammed him!. Is there anything I can do about him putting my image and company registration on the internet?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
................Is there anything I can do about him putting my image and company registration on the internet?
yup - don't drive like an idiot!

Who does this chap drive for? Is it simply a private hire, or does he have a contract with the Council?

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
The video shows his post to be a pack of lies. The cyclist was in primary position the whole time, not "2 feet from the kerb", and the cyclist's road position didn't change until after the overtake. He didn't overtake "using the opposite side of the road" because there was a parked car there. There is an audible crash in the rear view video when the van hit the rear wheel (though it would be hard to prove that wasn't added after).

ferret fur

I find it both hilarious & scary how people try to justify their actions. Does he really believe that his story ties in with the video evidence? I would be embarrassed to come out with the crap his is making up. Just shows why helmet cams do such a great job. Even if no prosecution follows, here is one driver who won't risk a close pass next time.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Dont post often but just discovered the driver has posted his 'version' on the pepipoo forum.
No mention of his road rage or the fact that he hit the OP in the lay-by - in fact he says he "I braked in behind him" which is a nice understatement.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but haven't read through all the recent posts

Thanks for that post, it was an informative read and confirms my opinion that he was desperate to put the blame on me and absolve himself of his actions.

He may have removed his admission of the collision but unluckily for him he can clearly be heard admitting it in the extra video footage.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
yup - don't drive like an idiot!

Who does this chap drive for? Is it simply a private hire, or does he have a contract with the Council?

He was driving for the Great Western Ambulance Service, according to the sign in the window, he does state he was driving it to a colleague's house but I do not believe anything he says.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being

They've closed that thread because the OP changed their story.

Top Bottom