Random musings of a first time tourer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
Which reminds me. Some cycle campers claim to use their cooking oil on the chain. Avoids carrying two, I guess.
I think the hipsters are using coconut oil on their chains these days, extra virgin olive is last year.

Good post pete.

On tin openers, the basic swiss army knives, and doubtless many cheapo lookalikes, have a perfectly usable tin opener. My swiss army knife is always in my seatpack anyway. Have never taken a domestic dedicated tin opener even in my car camping days.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
P-38 and P-51 can openers are quite compact and lightweight. Short experience with them provides consistent results. Still found all over, although our military went from canned rations to MRE's in the 1980s, IIRC.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Good post pete.

On tin openers, the basic swiss army knives, and doubtless many cheapo lookalikes, have a perfectly usable tin opener. My swiss army knife is always in my seatpack anyway. Have never taken a domestic dedicated tin opener even in my car camping days.

P-38 and P-51 can openers are quite compact and lightweight. Short experience with them provides consistent results. Still found all over, although our military went from canned rations to MRE's in the 1980s, IIRC.

As and when, and if, I tour again, I'll take an opener of some description. All I did, after the first 'hiccup' was make sure that cans had ring pulls!

Top Bottom