Rant!! How I wish I'd spent more on my bike!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mosschops2

Evening All.

Apologies to Cathryn before I start....

My Dawes Discovery 201, my only means of transport, has yet again let me down.

It is merely 13 months old, has been used for a 2 mile commute and a good few 15-20 mile rides too. So far, I've replaced the inner tubes, the tyres, the brake cables, one gear cable, I've had it in the LBS twice for gear adjustments, the gear protector fell off, and the bell was crap.

Onyhoo, cycling on Sunday morning, with my 3 to daughter on the child seat. Went up a fair hill - steep rather than long (which I had not been able to decide whether it was responsible or not), to suddenly find that there was a problem.

It was as if the brake block got jammed... after a few secs I got off, to find that the frame had snapped!!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2263/1800654745_5e5cc2ba6b_o.jpg

(may have to edit if that didn't work out right!)

The frame snapped in two places. (Note that the blue frame pictures is not my bike, nor a Dawes. Interestingly there also appears to be about 5 times more material in the broken area, than there is on my bike!!! Grrrr.)

So no more than a rant really. I may get around to taking an actual picture, and posting.

I've no idea what my guarentee deal is (good odds it was a 12 month deal. Sunday's ride was literally 54 weeks after having bought it!). Any chance of Dawes helping me out, replacement wise??

So I'm walking everywhere... for the time being.........

andygates

Man, that's bad luck. A 201 ought to be a fine little commuter-hybrid. Absolutely no reason why any of those bits should be replaced within normal use unless you're cursed or riding down salty tunnels filled with glass crocodiles.

From the website:

Dawes Cycles Ltd offer the following guarantee terms for retail purchasers:
Aluminium frame and rigid forks – 1 year from date of purchase.
Steel frames and rigid forks – 3 year from date of purchase.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oooh, unlucky mate. I would have thought that Dawes wouldn't be that troublesome, they have a good reputation. Let's hope you'll be sorted under warranty or somesuch.

At the very least look at the silver lining - you get to buy a new bike!!!

Judging by your gear problems that you've described, you've had an issue there for a while. The LBs didn't pick it up, nor did the manufacturer's quality control.

Even though the warranty is only for 12 months, the Sale of Goods Act 1971 states that goods must be fit for purpose. Obviously a bike that falls apart after 12.5 months isn't. Arm yourself with a bit of consumer law, get it back to the shop where you bought it and don't take no for an answer. Hopefully they'll not jib at replacing it.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'd support what 20" says, plus make the point that the fact that this breakage didn't cause a serious accident is pure good luck. You could have gone down in the middle of a busy road junction - daughter and all. Doesn't bear thinking about...

Tetedelacourse

Flamin eck Mossers that's bad luck. I'd certainly be ready to fight tooth and nail for a replacement; there's NO WAY a frame snap like that can be defended after 12.5 months of light usage.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Just out of interest, is it an alloy frame or a steel one?

You may encounter the argument that the use of the child seat contributed to the failure. But if the bike shop supplied and serviced the bike, and also fitted the child seat...

As someone else has said, if they try to wriggle out of it on the warranty then throw the book at them in respect of sale of goods act 1971 'fitness for purpose'. Maybe make use of a free first consultation with a solicitor, or citizens advice...

Tetedelacourse

Uncle Phil said:
Just out of interest, is it an alloy frame or a steel one?

You may encounter the argument that the use of the child seat contributed to the failure. But if the bike shop supplied and serviced the bike, and also fitted the child seat...

It's more to do with the max recommended weight the frame can withstand, no? ie if Mosschops was a 9-stone cowboy with a 2-stone kid then there'd still be no comeback if the frame is expected to withstand 15st?

bonj2

mosschops2 said:
Evening All.

Apologies to Cathryn before I start....

My Dawes Discovery 201, my only means of transport, has yet again let me down.

It is merely 13 months old, has been used for a 2 mile commute and a good few 15-20 mile rides too. So far, I've replaced the inner tubes, the tyres, the brake cables, one gear cable, I've had it in the LBS twice for gear adjustments, the gear protector fell off, and the bell was crap.

Onyhoo, cycling on Sunday morning, with my 3 to daughter on the child seat. Went up a fair hill - steep rather than long (which I had not been able to decide whether it was responsible or not), to suddenly find that there was a problem.

It was as if the brake block got jammed... after a few secs I got off, to find that the frame had snapped!!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2263/1800654745_5e5cc2ba6b_o.jpg

(may have to edit if that didn't work out right!)

The frame snapped in two places. (Note that the blue frame pictures is not my bike, nor a Dawes. Interestingly there also appears to be about 5 times more material in the broken area, than there is on my bike!!! Grrrr.)

So no more than a rant really. I may get around to taking an actual picture, and posting.

I've no idea what my guarentee deal is (good odds it was a 12 month deal. Sunday's ride was literally 54 weeks after having bought it!). Any chance of Dawes helping me out, replacement wise??

So I'm walking everywhere... for the time being.........

If by "my 3 to daughter" you mean your 3 month old daughter, then they'd be a bit tight not to replace it.
If you mean your 3 year old daughter, it might be hit and miss.
If you mean your 3 daughters, then it's not looking good.

OP
OP
mosschops2

mosschops2

Sorry Bonj! 3yo it was supposed to say!

I have yet to speak to the LBS - I'll give them a bell in a while... after I've dug out the receipt. The bloke there is pretty good, I'll let you know how it goes!

Cheers for the advice - I thought there was something official along the "fit for purpose" lines, so it's good to have it at my fingertips!

And Tete - I'm only a 13st weakling, with a 2 1/2 stone daughter - so whilst not a complete lightweight - not putting hellish stresses through the bike....

Thanks to all for the support!!

Top Bottom