Rant : why don't ruddy car drivers like using the entire ruddy road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
50 miles today
1 very near pass
2 peanuts who wanted to give us a piece of their very small mind about how we should keep out of their way - despite there being a clear carriageway - ie. the opposite side of the road

Right, here I go with my rant. Time to press that Back arrow if you don't want to see this.

There is an entire bleeding road numbnuts. If you were passing a car, tractor, horse, runner or just about any other chuffing thing on 'your' side of the road you would just cross the white lines and get on with it.
a) why do yo need to give us the benefit of your pissing small mind when you've gone past
b) do you really think we give a shoot
c) try pulling over and having a conversation with us rather than sitting all superior in your frigging tin box

If I could possibly have caught up with the peanut who passed me today about a foot from my elbow despite the rest of the road being clear for 200mts I'm sure would have dragged the pillock from his car.
One day I am going to catch one of these simpletons and I know I shouldn't rise to it but I dread that the red mist will descend and one of us will get a fat lip. It might be me but I don't bloody care.

Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent a little, I feel better now.
#reaches for the G&T
#I probably don't mean the 'fat lip' comment. I'm too old and sensible for that:
#Is it an offence to carry one of those little orange hammers used to break a window 'in case of emergency'

gbb

Legendary Member
It' a real difficult one to get out of your mind sometimes and one that often bugs me....driver will pass what I call disrespectfuly close...not dangerously...but uneccessary close.
I can only guess a good proportion of them simply don' realise how it feels to have a ton of metal pass them within a couple feet.
Town driving perhaps gives them a sense it's ok...I'm fine with cars at rush hour passing within a foot, but they'e usually doing 10 or 20 mph. Now at 40 to 60 mph....its a whole different kettle of fish...but I don't think they realise it.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I have dreams where I’m wielding my D-lock on a cam lock strap, a bit like Rob Roy / Spartacus / insert violent hero name here, above my head in a wheeling circle, before I behead the offending car-o-naut with one skull-scrambling thwokk.
“That’ll make him think again about not giving me my statutory four feet of room” I say as I turn to my pedalling sidekick, Captain Campy (a rather effete Italian fellow of a certain age, with excellent dress sense, an abject fear of man made fibres, and a good line in Mediterranean put-downs.)
“His father smelled of crab claws left out too long in the sun, and his auntie boiled her stockings in the family’s soups!”
Waking up can be such a disappointment.

Thomson

As a newish cyclist 3 months and a car driver for over 15 years I realise now what it's like on a bike. People who don't give a cyclist as much room as a car just don't think or don't know or just plain lazy to move the wheel and move out a few extra feet. In three months I have had a van pull out In front off me. So fast I had to go the right hand side around him. A couple off people passed me threw a traffic island. And one guy went on the other side off the road just as I was approaching another one. So he wouldn't have to slow down for me.

It won't stop me from cycling.

Maenchi

StoneDog
I guess we all feel a bit like you did today at sometime I know I do, I got passed yesterday with enough room but the driver felt it necessary to blast his horn at me, and I didn't do a dang thing wrong, plain fact is, we just are not liked being on the road at all by some motorists. :headshake:

Drago

Legendary Member
This is what I do to the cars of people that close pass me. Alas, I've put on a bit of timber since then.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=THqqGegTR_U

screenman

Legendary Member
Reminds me of about 20 years ago one of the guys I cycled with a lot and who moaned a lot about car drivers have me a lift to an event, the previous times I had given him a lift, it was the last time I got in a car with him, speeding, tailgating, road rage and more. Being a cyclist did not make this bloke a decent driver, totally different person once he got behind the wheel.

Milzy

Guru
50 miles today
1 very near pass
2 peanuts who wanted to give us a piece of their very small mind about how we should keep out of their way - despite there being a clear carriageway - ie. the opposite side of the road

Right, here I go with my rant. Time to press that Back arrow if you don't want to see this.

There is an entire bleeding road numbnuts. If you were passing a car, tractor, horse, runner or just about any other chuffing thing on 'your' side of the road you would just cross the white lines and get on with it.
a) why do yo need to give us the benefit of your pissing small mind when you've gone past
b) do you really think we give a shoot
c) try pulling over and having a conversation with us rather than sitting all superior in your frigging tin box

If I could possibly have caught up with the peanut who passed me today about a foot from my elbow despite the rest of the road being clear for 200mts I'm sure would have dragged the pillock from his car.
One day I am going to catch one of these simpletons and I know I shouldn't rise to it but I dread that the red mist will descend and one of us will get a fat lip. It might be me but I don't bloody care.

Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent a little, I feel better now.
#reaches for the G&T
#I probably don't mean the 'fat lip' comment. I'm too old and sensible for that:
#Is it an offence to carry one of those little orange hammers used to break a window 'in case of emergency'
I have lots of country roads around me unpathed. When I’m running I get more close passes than ever. A car once peeped. What am I supposed to do jump in a ditch every time there is a car. They’re thick as pig poop.

mgs315

I guess it’s just a hazard that comes with the hobby. Can’t cater for the stupidity of humans, regardless of what we’re all riding/driving.

Top Bottom