Rant : why don't ruddy car drivers like using the entire ruddy road

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by IBarrett, 28 Jan 2018.

1. mgs315

mgs315 Well-Known Member

Well yes that’s true. I do commute by bike when I can (depends if I’ve a few tonnes of tools to carry) but I have two vehicles too (work van and personal car). I’d like to think I’m courteous behind the wheel of those but you still get idiots in all other forms of transport even then. Some fellow cyclists included.

2. jarlrmai

jarlrmai Veteran

Should it be Steve? Should it be a part of everyday riding?

3. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

There is an older chap (presumably retired) at the end of our street who as I'm going to work at 6.15am is getting his car off his drive to park on the street outside his house all day.
    Even at this time of year he's up, in the dark, often scraping the ice off his windscreen, so he can drive from next to his front door, down his drive and park outside his own house. And most days that's as far as the car goes.
    And then at 6.30pm he goes out, and puts the car back on the drive. :wacko:

GuyBoden, Katherine and raleighnut like this.
  4. But it is.

dave r likes this.
  5. Again, there's an Ogri cartoon, where someone parks across it, negating access to his shed
    So........... he just rides over the car, squashing it

On a similar odd vein
    There's a chap (I presume it is), who lives in the adjacent street
    I can see his garage from my back bedroom window
    (If I'm up for an early-turn) At circa 04:00, he gets his car out
    Puts 'the hazards' on, leaving it parked in a back alley, where the most active thing will be a nocturnal tomcat
    Closes the garage, drives 20 yards to the end of the alley
    Indicates left, into the 'cross-alley'
    Then disappears from site

Last edited: 29 Jan 2018
  6. jarlrmai

jarlrmai Veteran

Doesn't mean we have to like it.

Pat "5mph", dave r and mjr like this.
  7. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

That is surely on the mental illness spectrum rather than merely being an arse. I've seen such things - I've seen my dad do ritualistic but daft things like this too - albeit not vindictively

deptfordmarmoset likes this.
  8. It doesnt mean we have to moan about it all the time either. It is what it is. We all experience it. We all know it happens. Its not news and its not very interesting.

The only solution I can think of is to stop riding and I wont do that.

dave r likes this.
  9. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

No it shouldn't and we should have a no tolerance approach; We should all go to the police and badger our MPs on every occasion - if there was 200+ cyclists a day arguing in police stations until they were blue in the face, if MPs mailbags were stuffed full of letters from cyclists complaining of our treatment, then may be we would get some action.

Can we please all start making a fuss about the dangerous way we are treated.

Pat "5mph", mjr, jarlrmai and 4 others like this.
  10. EatSleepRideRepeat

EatSleepRideRepeat AKA Martin from Wales

If only we could form a group, club together, work as a unit, then the club could lobby government on our behalf.........oh, wait a minute..........

raleighnut likes this.
  11. Have you never felt like going out the night before and parking your car in the spot to annoy him?

12. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

Yes, I remember a few years ago on the way to work, the car driver had misjudged my speed and suddenly realized they couldn't get past me without hitting the traffic island, so they went the wrong side of the island and nearly caused a multiple pile up.:wacko:

Last edited: 30 Jan 2018
  13. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

I came back to driving after a break in 2012 and I've had this several times, I've also noticed that if I give a cyclist a wide berth the cars that are following me do the same.

Katherine and Drago like this.
  14. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

He might take retribution on your car.

Hire a skip for him. Do they deliver at 5am?

NorthernDave and Drago like this.
  15. humboldt

humboldt Active Member

The road on my parents' house in Devon is not resident restricted parking and anyone is free to stop there... in theory. Until recently one of their neighbours jealously guarded 'her' patch and one for her daughter too. One night someone came to visit someone up the road and parked there and rather than say anything she called her extended family who came and boxed the visitor in so she could scream at them without them getting away. Eventually the police were called.
    Thankfully she is now dead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice