Rant : why don't ruddy car drivers like using the entire ruddy road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgs315

For some of us cycling isn't a hobby, it's my only form of transport (through choice I might add)

Well yes that’s true. I do commute by bike when I can (depends if I’ve a few tonnes of tools to carry) but I have two vehicles too (work van and personal car). I’d like to think I’m courteous behind the wheel of those but you still get idiots in all other forms of transport even then. Some fellow cyclists included.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Isnt everything mentioned in here just part of everyday riding?

I dont really see the point in going over the same thing every day.

Should it be Steve? Should it be a part of everyday riding?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My wife has just had a bloke shaking his fist and shouting at her for parking in his street, she was parking away from his house and outside of a customers where she was going to do the elderly ladies feet. The temptation for me to go and offer some calming advice to him is strong.

My own mother did this last time I was there. She was ranting about the person down the road parking outside her house yet she doesn't even own a car!

There is an older chap (presumably retired) at the end of our street who as I'm going to work at 6.15am is getting his car off his drive to park on the street outside his house all day.
Even at this time of year he's up, in the dark, often scraping the ice off his windscreen, so he can drive from next to his front door, down his drive and park outside his own house. And most days that's as far as the car goes.
And then at 6.30pm he goes out, and puts the car back on the drive. :wacko:

My wife has just had a bloke shaking his fist and shouting at her for parking in his street, she was parking away from his house and outside of a customers where she was going to do the elderly ladies feet. The temptation for me to go and offer some calming advice to him is strong.
Again, there's an Ogri cartoon, where someone parks across it, negating access to his shed
So........... he just rides over the car, squashing it

There is an older chap (presumably retired) at the end of our street who as I'm going to work at 6.15am is getting his car off his drive to park on the street outside his house all day.
Even at this time of year he's up, in the dark, often scraping the ice off his windscreen, so he can drive from next to his front door, down his drive and park outside his own house. And most days that's as far as the car goes.
On a similar odd vein
There's a chap (I presume it is), who lives in the adjacent street
I can see his garage from my back bedroom window
(If I'm up for an early-turn) At circa 04:00, he gets his car out
Puts 'the hazards' on, leaving it parked in a back alley, where the most active thing will be a nocturnal tomcat
Closes the garage, drives 20 yards to the end of the alley
Indicates left, into the 'cross-alley'
Then disappears from site

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

That is surely on the mental illness spectrum rather than merely being an arse. I've seen such things - I've seen my dad do ritualistic but daft things like this too - albeit not vindictively

EatSleepRideRepeat

AKA Martin from Wales
[QUOTE 5133672, member: 9609"]No it shouldn't and we should have a no tolerance approach; We should all go to the police and badger our MPs on every occasion - if there was 200+ cyclists a day arguing in police stations until they were blue in the face, if MPs mailbags were stuffed full of letters from cyclists complaining of our treatment, then may be we would get some action.

Can we please all start making a fuss about the dangerous way we are treated.[/QUOTE]
If only we could form a group, club together, work as a unit, then the club could lobby government on our behalf.........oh, wait a minute..........

Drago

Legendary Member

Have you never felt like going out the night before and parking your car in the spot to annoy him?

D

Deleted member 1258

:rofl: "nobody is tempted to" :rolleyes: I hope your brakes work well or you can jump kerbs! Heck, I've even seen motorists wrong-side the island and halt facing oncoming traffic rather than abort a misjudged overtake... :headshake:

Yes, I remember a few years ago on the way to work, the car driver had misjudged my speed and suddenly realized they couldn't get past me without hitting the traffic island, so they went the wrong side of the island and nearly caused a multiple pile up.:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1258

As someone who drives 40K miles a year and rides 8K miles a year, I'm pretty sure it's because most drivers who don't ride don't have a bleedin' clue what it feels like to have cars skimming by your elbows at 70mph ! On more than one occasion i've been flashed at or beeped at by the car behind me because i won't overtake a cyclist until there's enough room to get by safely..... now that's annoying !!!!!!

I came back to driving after a break in 2012 and I've had this several times, I've also noticed that if I give a cyclist a wide berth the cars that are following me do the same.

humboldt

The road on my parents' house in Devon is not resident restricted parking and anyone is free to stop there... in theory. Until recently one of their neighbours jealously guarded 'her' patch and one for her daughter too. One night someone came to visit someone up the road and parked there and rather than say anything she called her extended family who came and boxed the visitor in so she could scream at them without them getting away. Eventually the police were called.
Thankfully she is now dead.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The road on my parents' house in Devon is not resident restricted parking and anyone is free to stop there... in theory. Until recently one of their neighbours jealously guarded 'her' patch and one for her daughter too. One night someone came to visit someone up the road and parked there and rather than say anything she called her extended family who came and boxed the visitor in so she could scream at them without them getting away. Eventually the police were called.
Thankfully she is now dead.
Crikey, that's harsh policing they have in Devon! :ph34r:

Top Bottom