Rant : why don't ruddy car drivers like using the entire ruddy road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ogri (in 'Bike' magazine) once crafted spiked hubs, etc.... for Armegeddon (his bike)

It's the sense of entitlement from knowing that there is no longer any road law enforcement worth thinking about.

I used to ride with an ex army guy who was only too happy to catch up with them. You've never seen people jump back in their tin box so fast!

screenman

Legendary Member
My wife has just had a bloke shaking his fist and shouting at her for parking in his street, she was parking away from his house and outside of a customers where she was going to do the elderly ladies feet. The temptation for me to go and offer some calming advice to him is strong.

My wife has just had a bloke shaking his fist and shouting at her for parking in his street, she was parking away from his house and outside of a customers where she was going to do the elderly ladies feet. The temptation for me to go and offer some calming advice to him is strong.

This is one of my favourite rants! Oh yes they like to 'own' bit of public highway. Where my mother lives, if you park on the wrong patch of tarmac you get the oldies bashing on the door and shaking with rage as they describe their perfectly healthy husband's battle with cancer 10 years ago to justify why they have to be 10 feet closer than the 30 yards from their door they normally are (the bungalows are set back from the road). Pretty rich considering my mother has to get to my car, and she can't walk unaided at all.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This is one of my favourite rants! Oh yes they like to 'own' bit of public highway. Where my mother lives, if you park on the wrong patch of tarmac you get the oldies bashing on the door and shaking with rage as they describe their perfectly healthy husband's battle with cancer 10 years ago to justify why they have to be 10 feet closer than the 30 yards from their door they normally are (the bungalows are set back from the road). Pretty rich considering my mother has to get to my car, and she can't walk unaided at all.

It's one of life's little ironies that in my street which is chock a block with cars, we all squeeze in and rub along just fine. Go to suberbia where there's loads of room, and it's suddenly a big problem

Drago

Legendary Member

You could go across and fix his stonechips. That'd learn 'im!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Traffic islands come in two flavours: those that still have enough room for a car to pass safely and those that I cycle past in primary so that nobody is tempted to.
:rofl: "nobody is tempted to" :rolleyes: I hope your brakes work well or you can jump kerbs! Heck, I've even seen motorists wrong-side the island and halt facing oncoming traffic rather than abort a misjudged overtake... :headshake:

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
My own mother did this last time I was there. She was ranting about the person down the road parking outside her house yet she doesn't even own a car!

shnjmsn

Über Member
As someone who drives 40K miles a year and rides 8K miles a year, I'm pretty sure it's because most drivers who don't ride don't have a bleedin' clue what it feels like to have cars skimming by your elbows at 70mph ! On more than one occasion i've been flashed at or beeped at by the car behind me because i won't overtake a cyclist until there's enough room to get by safely..... now that's annoying !!!!!!

Top Bottom