Rapha Festive 500. Anyone doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
I've joined again ,will struggle with limited time off work and a lack of motivation for longer rides ,No virtual miles for me

AlanW

Guru
You can count virtual rides this year, will make it easier.
IMHO they should have kept it separate from the original Rapha 500 challenge and called it something different.
But the proof in the pudding will be how many complete it this year compared to previous years when we in the UK had to do battle with the elements.

Milzy

Guru
It makes it very easy IMO. Get TT bike and hammer along the flats in the warmth. Hardly a challenge.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Surely every year, perhaps moreso his year - cycling forum comments should be encouraging people to dust their bikes off and attempt the F500, inside, outside or a combination.

Knocking people down is easier than building them up innit

AlanW

Guru
Surely every year, perhaps moreso his year - cycling forum comments should be encouraging people to dust their bikes off and attempt the F500, inside, outside or a combination.

Knocking people down is easier than building them up innit

I agree to a point, but as lve said in my post above, why not just call it the Zwift 500 challenge and keep the Rapha 500 as a stand alone proper challenge.

I've done and completed every Rapha 500 challenge since they first started and l know how it has pained me to go out in some truly awful conditions when l really really didnt want to just to finish it.

But this year, when it's cold and raining or it's late at night and lm down on my schedule, l'll just hop on the trainer and bang a few miles in to get back on track. Not quite the same really is it?

straas

Matt
Is there a penalty for those doing it in the south east vs the highlands?

I'm glad that Zwift miles can count this year. I'm on call over parts of Christmas so I sometimes struggle to finish this but I'll probably do most of the miles outside!

GoldenLamprey

Another vote for calling the virtual option something else. Same with Australia in summer. It is all too easy and devalues the real achievement (and original point) of getting the distance in during short days (or darkness) and poor weather.

Times change, things move on.. Rapha wanted it open to all 🤷
Doesn't mean we have to like it!

I was only interested when there was a free badge - since then it's just an opportunity for us to do Crappa's marketing for them unpaid.
But I sure as eggs wouldn't have been interested in a badge you could win indoors!

I laugh at those in kind climates who brag about their distances; it's just a bit of fun, so they don't bother me. Likewise the guys who "win" by knocking-out 500k in the first 30hours (or less) - they are always in places with perfect (and un-festive) weather!!!

Of course, Raffa will ride this out, by continuing to produce tasteful stylish kit that we're all desperate to find under the tree:

Top Bottom