Rapha Festive 500. Anyone doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Despite me saying every year that lm not doing it ever again, l always end up doing it! Managed to complete it and still have a couple of days spare, which is always good.

But thats it, ive completed it every year since it first started and I'm not doing it again!!
Incredible achievement @AlanW Having only done it once, and a very benign year too, massive chapeau.

IBarrett

Über Member
You do know it is 500km not 500 miles.? I’m sure you do but just wanted to make sure in case the missing gap was doable.
Yes I did know it was 500km but thanks for mentioning it just in case.
I went out yesterday because I needed 71 miles to finish it and did 85 so I’m well over. It was a hard day though. I rode in fog all day with no more than 100mts visibility. And being out in the countryside made it quite miserable and difficult to stay warm. It was probably one of my most mentally challenging days in the saddle ever.

Fiona R

Yes I did know it was 500km but thanks for mentioning it just in case.
I went out yesterday because I needed 71 miles to finish it and did 85 so I’m well over. It was a hard day though. I rode in fog all day with no more than 100mts visibility. And being out in the countryside made it quite miserable and difficult to stay warm. It was probably one of my most mentally challenging days in the saddle ever.
Very well done! Especially for going well over, it's so tempting to just do 0.5km more than necessary. I found the fog very challenging on Monday too. Foggy Festives we are

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How did you Festive 500 riders navigate and record your rides?

Shane Miller - GPLama on YouTube - tested a different GPS unit on each of the eight days of his challenge.

His review is informative, and it's clever the way he has added interest to what is essentially a dull topic.

Very little riding in the video, but his remarks about the various devices are worth listening to.

If you can't be bothered to watch it, the Hammerhead Karoo is the winner.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNYLYvTkEM

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Shane Miller - GPLama on YouTube - tested a different GPS unit on each of the eight days of his challenge.

His review is informative, and it's clever the way he has added interest to what is essentially a dull topic.

Very little riding in the video, but his remarks about the various devices are worth listening to.

I use a Satmap Active 20. It was originally designed as a walking GPS so is a bit bulkier than a traditional cycling unit, the mapping on it is absolutely fantastic. I have open street mapping, OS 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 for the whole of GB on it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I use a Satmap Active 20. It was originally designed as a walking GPS so is a bit bulkier than a traditional cycling unit, the mapping on it is absolutely fantastic. I have open street mapping, OS 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 for the whole of GB on it.

That package is £680 from the OS, although they are right to call it 'platinum'.

The map package is about as good as you could get.

And as with computers, there's no substitute for screen real estate.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/gps-device-satmap-active-20-platinum.html

Fiona R

Garmin 1000 for routing/recording and phone Strava back up recording. Devise routes in Ride with GPS.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
2019 swimming badge turned up the other day.

Fiona R

Mine came yesterday I'd forgot all about it . Nice of Rapha to include a catalogue so I can see how expensive here kit is :eek:
Got mine Thursday too ^_^ There was some paper recycling too, I managed F500 and winter rides of RRtY with Aldi 4yo winter tights costing £15 :wacko:

I just moved my lawnmower ( in my porch by the letterbox ) and look what was underneath it.

:okay:

Top Bottom