Rapha Festive 500. Anyone doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Of course, Raffa will ride this out, by continuing to produce tasteful stylish kit that we're all desperate to find under the tree:
561187-c1d56a59e38746648fce897e487afb10.png

tenor.gif

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I agree to a point, but as lve said in my post above, why not just call it the Zwift 500 challenge and keep the Rapha 500 as a stand alone proper challenge.

I've done and completed every Rapha 500 challenge since they first started and l know how it has pained me to go out in some truly awful conditions when l really really didnt want to just to finish it.

But this year, when it's cold and raining or it's late at night and lm down on my schedule, l'll just hop on the trainer and bang a few miles in to get back on track. Not quite the same really is it?
So you are riding again this year? I think I remember you saying "never again" ;)

Fiona R

This year is going to be much much harder but I need a target now everything has gone pear shaped the last month. I just had to bin a 5/12 RRtY 😢 can't really start until 27th and 31st out too except for commute.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Given that I'll be at home the whole period - rather than driving up and down the country - I might give this a bash.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Meh ... not given it any thought. Probably on the road.

I think doing distance on the turbo is harder than on the road, because of the boredom factor. I think you have to have Zwift for the turbo don't you, and I've not installed that.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have RGT which is free.
So do I. But I think if you want to annoy people by doing the Rapha F500 on the turbo then you have to have Zwift. (Which isn't free ... I don't think)

Let's see. If I get to 499km I'd be tempted to do the last one indoors, just to be awkward.

Last edited:

Fiona R

Not sure if this is a funny joke along the lines of "how can you say you have done x miles on the turbo ... you didn't go anywhere", or if there's another point.

If it is a joke ... :smile:

If not, well, you can simulate however much climbing as you like. You could ride back to back simulations of ascents of Ventoux, without the need to descend between efforts. Or you could, as @YukonBoy says, do a constant simulated descent and just keep the pedals gently turning while your simulated speed goes up to stupid levels. Actually I don't know if you can do these things on Zwift, cos I've never tried it. But it's theoretically possible.

Anyway as things out it doesn't really matter to me as I don't want to sign up to Zwift so it looks like if I do attempt it, it will all have to be outside. Although I am thinking of doing some loops where I can call in at home for a cuppa and maybe a hot meal en route, which some people will no doubt disapprove of because it isn't real enough.
The home café stop is totally a thing this year.

If it is a joke ... :smile:
Indeedy x

Anyway as things out it doesn't really matter to me as I don't want to sign up to Zwift so it looks like if I do attempt it, it will all have to be outside. Although I am thinking of doing some loops where I can call in at home for a cuppa and maybe a hot meal en route, which some people will no doubt disapprove of because it isn't real enough.
This whole business throws up so many new questions ... if you do ride two loops from home, then is the pit-stop actually "en route" ??? I just don't know :ohmy:

(good to know we'll have something to talk about over Chrimbo - apart from Sean Connery movies.)

Top Bottom