Rattly SKS mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got a set of the SKS Chromoplastic mudguards on my bike which work well, but they rattle all the time which is beginning to irritate a bit.

Is it something I have done, or not done when fitting them, or do they all do it, and is there a quick fix to quieten them ?

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
V

very-near

They are all tight. I was wondering if it was play between the metal bracket which holds them to the brake bolt on the top of the fork leg

trio25

Über Member
Mine are rattling at the moment, its on my list to look at as I'm sure they didn't used to!

Spoon

Front or rear?
I've had rattles at the rear where that metal clip thing at the brake bridge grips the guard. Solved by wedging something between the clip and the guard.

OP
OP
V

very-near

Spoon said:
Front or rear?
I've had rattles at the rear where that metal clip thing at the brake bridge grips the guard. Solved by wedging something between the clip and the guard.

I think both, but not 100% on this. I'll try this and if it works, will stick a blob of epoxy on it.

Stu99

Über Member
A strategically placed cable tie (small) will do the trick although you will have to drill two tiny holes in the mudguard to thread it through. I lashed mine to the rear brake caliper (part that doesn't move) and it cured the problem.

dodgy

I was expecting rattling on mine, but they are completely and utterly silent - and this is on a bike not strictly designed for full mudguards. I would suspect the rattle might be between the guard and the seatpost if clearances are tight?

RedBike

Some little f**kwitt pulled my pannier rack and mud-guards off last week while trying to yank the bike free of it's lock. My mud-guards never used to rattle. Now they're driving me nuts!

I'm going to get the hot glue gun out this weekend. A drop of glue on each bolt and tighten them quickly before the glue cools / sets. (You can still undo them simply by using force or just gently warming them)

OP
OP
V

very-near

RedBike said:
Some little f**kwitt pulled my pannier rack and mud-guards off last week while trying to yank the bike free of it's lock. My mud-guards never used to rattle. Now they're driving me nuts!

I'm going to get the hot glue gun out this weekend. A drop of glue on each bolt and tighten them quickly before the glue cools / sets. (You can still undo them simply by using force or just gently warming them)

Good idea. Thanks for the tip. I just need to track my old glue gun down now.

It will be easier to sort if one gets a crack in it than using epoxy.

Top Bottom