RC planes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I lost it this morning :stop: The wind just took it as i was turning in to land and it went behind the trees . @Mark Grant will know how far it went when i say it was well past the football field . Sitting there like i had placed it into the wind ready to take off :eek:
Very odd as before it went out of sight it was like i had very little control over it . Some control but very litle .

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I lost it this morning :stop: The wind just took it as i was turning in to land and it went behind the trees . @Mark Grant will know how far it went when i say it was well past the football field . Sitting there like i had placed it into the wind ready to take off :eek:
Very odd as before it went out of sight it was like i had very little control over it . Some control but very litle .
That's a way off, assuming you still fly on the rugby pitch..

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I'm just back from holiday so don't know how windy it was today.
When learning, the plane can often be much further away than you think. I can imagine that as you turned on finals you show the whole of the top of the plane to the wind and all that area (wing, tail ,fuselage) takes the full power of the wind and takes your light aircraft quickly down wind. I think most model fliers have experienced this.
Ever since I learnt to fly R/C at Hanworth in the late '80s there has been talk of various types of interference though nothing has ever been nailed down, it is almost always pilot error...Probably!
I've helped out at West London Models for years,I often work over that way and will stop at the shop for tea, and help Rod in the shop serving, doing mail order, unpacking deliveries, checking emails etc., sometimes I provide holiday cover. One thing that I have always told newbies is , 'You will crash. As time goes on you crash less but the crashes get more expensive!'
It sounds as though you got away lightly.
@cosmicbike , there are fewer rugby pitches now, I think that the club has fewer teams. The council installed a couple of benches and a waste bin on the flight line, which is nice!

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
About as windy as it is today and you're right i did turn the whole plane that way and lost sight of it behind the trees .

mustang1

Legendary Member
That'd be the german who designed "toy airplanes" in the origional.

How far did that plane fly on its own?
Long enough to make a film for the box office. :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Long enough to make a film for the box office. :smile:
When Dorfman is describing the flights made by pioneers Henson and Stringfellow, he states that both men made a rubber powered model airplane that flew for 60 meters or so. Messrs Henson and Stringfellow never built a rubber powered model. Stringfellow did build a model airplane, but not powered with rubber. It had a steam engine and it was the first airplane ever to fly, although it was a model. Henson designed an "Aerial Steam Carriage" in 1842-43, but it was never built or flown. The rubber powered model was made by a Frenchman called Alphonse Pénaud (1850-1880) in the year 1871. It flew for 40 meters in 11 seconds approximately.
stringf_1848_replica_1000.jpg

Top Bottom