RC planes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The lad (Mike) is a super pilot, comfortably one of the best in the UK. Many a happy hour spent flying with those guys, still miss it can't find the time any more.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The lad (Mike) is a super pilot, comfortably one of the best in the UK. Many a happy hour spent flying with those guys, still miss it can't find the time any more.
It seems every one that i talk to that flies has been taught by Colin or one of his family :becool:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Used to sell a lot of cars and buggies but fair few planes too but more volume of RC gear. A proper model shop, bit hard to find now.
They have been hard to find for many years now, When the Red Baron went in Ponders End, About 25 years ago, that really killed modelling for me, Have flown planes and helicopters raced cars and ic boats...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes it's a shame. When I was running the Chelmsford shop I could see the figures week by week and they couldn't have been making any money. Christmas was the only real good period. It was owned by Ripmax and the business is now on line. I notice they've lost the Futaba distributorship.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes it's a shame. When I was running the Chelmsford shop I could see the figures week by week and they couldn't have been making any money. Christmas was the only real good period. It was owned by Ripmax and the business is now on line. I notice they've lost the Futaba distributorship.
Local one for aircraft, helicopters in particular is on the far side of Leeds. About 30 miles away.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You should go to the doctors about that spot on your face.
He's practising for the spot landing competition.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't know if anyone would even take on a model shop these days. You'll need at least two staff and with the high business rates and competition from the internet you'd have to be very brave.
Ali Machinchy still has his shops in Milton Keynes and Hainault. He might be the only one left soon.
Hobbystores had a shop in Nottingham which used to sell mainly cars and buggies.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It's a great shame how almost all the model shops have gone. Growing up in east London I can think of half a dozen that were within walking distance or a short bus ride away, you'd have a job finding one at all now. I know the internet is cheaper and has a huge range available, but as with any hobby it is much nicer to browse and see the real thing as well as having knowledgeable staff on hand to help you out.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're still living near east or north London why don't you go to the Wings & Wheels model show, end of June just off the M11 near Harlow.
http://www.wingsnwheels.net
Great day out. Plenty of model flying as well as other modelling interests. Lots of tempting stuff to buy, I used to go every year.

Top Bottom