Re sole mountain bike shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I don't mean complete new sole, just build up at the side of the cleats..... has anyone tried this? I have several good pairs of shoes, however 1 pair has worn so that the cleat is level with the sole, this resulted in a very embarrassing fall in front of 10 of my previous colleagues, concrete floor, slow turn, put my foot down and it was if i was on ice, I would like to build up the sole just by 3/4 mm or so, another pair are getting close.

The pair that the cleats are level is a Diadora pair, the close ones are Shimano, both appear to have a hard plasticy sole, I have been tempted to bite the bullet and buy new, however there are not many options available in size 50/UK 14.

has anyone been successful in gluing sole replacements on?

They would need to be cut to shape and are quite narrow on the Diadora's, its just the cleat area that needs attention, heel is not an issue and the uppers are still in very good condition.

I have seen replacement kits for Sidi's and I may go for a pair if i can find a pair in my size if the price is not to high.

All my shoe purchases have to be online as no one on the island stocks large sizes to try, my first pair of Northwave were bought from a LBS, however it was on the basis that I bought them if they ordered them in so no better than online.

Carl

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't mean complete new sole, just build up at the side of the cleats..... has anyone tried this? I have several good pairs of shoes, however 1 pair has worn so that the cleat is level with the sole, this resulted in a very embarrassing fall in front of 10 of my previous colleagues, concrete floor, slow turn, put my foot down and it was if i was on ice, I would like to build up the sole just by 3/4 mm or so, another pair are getting close.

The pair that the cleats are level is a Diadora pair, the close ones are Shimano, both appear to have a hard plasticy sole, I have been tempted to bite the bullet and buy new, however there are not many options available in size 50/UK 14.

has anyone been successful in gluing sole replacements on?

They would need to be cut to shape and are quite narrow on the Diadora's, its just the cleat area that needs attention, heel is not an issue and the uppers are still in very good condition.

I have seen replacement kits for Sidi's and I may go for a pair if i can find a pair in my size if the price is not to high.

All my shoe purchases have to be online as no one on the island stocks large sizes to try, my first pair of Northwave were bought from a LBS, however it was on the basis that I bought them if they ordered them in so no better than online.

Carl
The styling might not suit but Reduced Sidi MTB here in a 51 https://www.bikechaincafe.com/sidi-mtb-eagle-5-fit-white-white-22182.html

OP
OP
carlosfandangus

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Guess what I found under the bed!!! a brand new pair of M088 that have been there for 3 years, still in the box! hid them that well I forgot about them, made a repair to my existing ones using contact adhesive and pieces cut from a rubber mat in the shed just to see.

I did clean the area's properly and sanded them with a Dremel before I started the gluing

Top Bottom