Re-vitalising my poor neglected Orange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having caught the bike bug this year after 15 years of having the car bug, whilst i was at my parents place last week, i decided to venture into the shed at the end of the garden to check out my old Clockwork Orange LX (Alex). I think it's about a '93 and probably only ever done 1000 miles (I bought it when i was 16 a few months before i started learning to drive.)

I kind of regard Alex as a classic. I dont see many old Oranges about so i'd like to get him into a really good nick.

I was expecting him to be a total state having been sat in the shed unused for at least 10 years, so i was pretty surprised to see he didn't look too bad.

My question is....

If i was to try and get him up and running, what would you guys suggest i do:

Clean - definitely
New tyres and tubes - The rubber looks ok, but they are still the originals so at least 15 years old. Should i replace anyway?
Service - Entire drivetrain, hubs, headset, bb? Effectively a complete rebuild?
Decals - They're a bit tatty. I can get some new ones, but how easy is it to remove old decals and apply new ones?
Parts - Anything i should definitely consider ordering before starting?
It struck me that it has an old traditional headset. Is it possible to switch to aheadset easily, or does that require new forks too? Probably pointless changing, but i noticed old traditional headset dont even seem to be available to but online anymore.

I'll do all the work at my parents place, so ideally just want to spend 1 day doing the whole thing without having to return or find a need something.

Tollers

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
OK. Guess my question is a bit too vague for recommendations. I might just strip him and see what i find.

Definitely would like to know if i can fit an aheadset to threaded forks though. I'm guesssing not.

Tollers

02GF74

Über Member
i don't think there is the same scene for "classic" bikes as there is f or classic cars.

figure out what need to change due to wear; then figure out what you want to change to smarten it up - then add up the cost.;

in the intervenening 16 years. mtb technology has gone leaps and bounds and what you could buy now for £ 10000 is one helluva lot betteer than back ini '93.

if you want to keep it for sentimental reasons, then do so but think of the cost - I'll bet you can get a much better sepc. bike slightly used off the bay of E.

.... I should have said, you can buy parts off ebay to save a bit of cash.

any chance of photos?

my 1994 saracen is still going stroing as my commuter - got as few days off next week to will give that a service.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
OK guys,
I spent 8 hours at my folks place and gave Alex a complete rebuild and polish. From looking at him, i'm now amazed that he's 17. He doesnt look quite new, but still close. You all asked for pics. Well, this is him once i was finished.....
4103318153_97a1256620_b.jpg

Ram rod bars:
4103320293_110ff474ff_b.jpg

4104090382_3e1a802706_b.jpg

Seat tube:
4104087716_67f263a6ae_b.jpg

One clean chainset:
4104082620_40ab9317ca_b.jpg

Clean mech and cassette
4103326239_981081198f_b.jpg

Whatever happened to shark fins? I used to think they were so cool? OK.....maybe the chain could do with replacing!
4103333637_5897229c54_b.jpg

Horrible original saddle. I think i might replace this
4103342629_e9d90715cc_b.jpg

So what do you guys think? Im happy and he rides pretty well. Better than my 08 Cannondale Badboy actually.
Tollers

It's the same as mine!!!!! with different saddle and stem & handlebars & rims, as mine have all been changed. I bought mine in around 1994 maybe, will look out the receipt, when I was quite a speedy rider! Love it so much and have resisted all attempts for people to persuade me to replace it.
My LBS told me to keep it - it's a classic - I think with some people there is recognition for a classic bike. (I'm into classic cars as well, well I'm getting on a bit now!)
Good luck with the restoration.

PS Mine is the tiniest frame you ever saw, think its around 12".

mangaman

If you've given it a "rebuild" and it rides better than your 08 Cannondale -keep it!

I've got an Orange (slightly younger at 10 years old this year) but still a joy to ride.

I get my LBS to service it every spring just in case, but it's way cooler and seems to ride better than some of my mates' bikes they've spent a fortune on in the last few years.

Like a lot of things these days (old fogey alert) they were built to last in them days :sad:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
That looks awesome.:sad:
As to your question about fitting an aheadset, this will entail new forks. If you want to fit suspension, that'd be a good time to do it. If not, then just enjoy. If you service the headset recently (clear out the cack, replace the bearings, regrease) it'll last you for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages.

mangaman

Landslide said:
That looks awesome.:sad:
As to your question about fitting an aheadset, this will entail new forks. If you want to fit suspension, that'd be a good time to do it. If not, then just enjoy. If you service the headset recently (clear out the cack, replace the bearings, regrease) it'll last you for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages.

Agree

No suspension on mine by the way - I don't feel the need

The beautiful, almost inaudible click as you change gears is enough.

As I say I hear mates' new Canondales clunking clumsily into gear grating. Also their full sus systems are not really that necessary if you pootter around the South Downs like we do.

(Mind you I'm an Orange snob)

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Cheers guys. I won't be changing anything except maybe the saddle. A full service and hours with metal polish has got it looking perfect. All the bearings were amazingly in perfect condition, but they still had a grease anyway.

So, that is now totally standard spec except for the tyre and inner tubes. Doubt there are many of these about. Oh, and it's a 1992 model not a 1993.

I'm pretty pleased with it, but will probably leave it back in the parents shed as i dont see the point of a mountain bike in central london. They live out in leafy surrey so it makes sense.

Tollers

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Apparently you can tell the year from the frame number. The first digit refers to the year, the second two to the month. Mine being an A209 - Sept '92.

Maybe the bike was sold as a 93 model, but the frame was made in '92.

Tollers

Top Bottom