Re-vitalising my poor neglected Orange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just remembered, re my Orange, I have recently had new rear mech, 2nd hand via the bike shop mechanic front changers & am thinking of having an adjustable stem. It's still got original repaired brakes, Suntour front chainset. Mechanic said he's happy to keep on fixing it for me, as I'm only capable of very simple fixits. Yes I know it's money in their pockets but it's cheaper than a new bike that I don't like.

The 2nd set of wheels may soon need replacing too.

If I can download photo I'm attaching one, I normally use a pannier, the saddlebag was a trial, to see if I'd use it, otherwise I'll sell it. It's a bit mucky as I'd been down some country lanes.

I don't think you'd get a lighter MTB to convert to semi-road bike - particularly if you put Panaracer Pasela (if they still do them) 1.25 tyres on.

I must look at the number as well.

ENJOY TO BE DIFFERENT, KEEP IT!

View attachment 4740

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Thats a nice one too Campfire. Looks like a 15" frame (same as my cannondale). I think you might be right about 1994.

Im surprised you don't learn more about repairs. On these old classics all of the tools are available in cheap toolkits and really there isn't much to it.

I think these classics are worth keeping. Orange's never were cheap and i can remember lusting after one from when i was about 12. 4 years later i finally got my hands on this one albeit second hand.

I'm now wondering why i ever bought my Cannondale. Actually, it was because i lusted after fat aluminium tubes as a kid too and needed to fulfill that. Anyone remember the "Beast of the East"?

Tollers

I bought mine from Leisure Lakes near Oldham, Tollers. I tried a few out & a Kona too but the Orange was more suitable to a female form with shortish back & longish legs (see the saddle height!). They built it up from parts & I never realised there were no mudguard eyelets until I got it. It cost £650.00 but at the time I had a well-paid job & I never batted an eyelid. I've got a lovely pic of it in the middle of the locks on the Manchester Ship Canal with a high railway bridge in background but it's on film, so might just scan it.
As for maintenance, if someone showed me I'm sure I could do it but when I was young Dad did all our bikes & I never got to learn other than simple bits.

Jonathan M

That bike is so original & in such good nick that to change anything just to bring it up to date would be criminal!

I had a C16 (1995 vintage) that I built up from frame & forks, and that rode well. The only negative was the silly long 150mm stem that I acquired, and in all honesty the stem on yours may be a similar length. I eventually fitted a 130mm Ritchey stem, and that gave better control because it meant less weight over the front end on the downhills.

I did a ride locally in the summer with my son, a Travelwise ride, and one of the guides had a nice Orange Clockwork/C16, again very original spec, that she'd had I think from new.

The Orange and its replacement in my bike shed, a Marin Pine Mountain, are the two bikes I wish I'd never got rid of, I wish I'd kept them on in one form or another.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
I think maybe the smaller frames came without mudguard eyelets. Mine has certainly got spare hole all over the place. Scan the pic, we'd love to see it.

As for maintenance, i must admit i'm guilty of assuming you were a guy. Have you been out with any of the CC guys around warrington? Im sure most people here are happy to share knowledge.

Johnathon. Rest assured i'll keep it as original as possible. Ive ordered a Charge Spoon saddle (in orange) and a new chain. Other than that, my work is done. Rest assured, ill be keeping the old saddle in a drawer somewhere just in case.

I'm really pleased by all the comments here and on retrobike.co.uk. You've all helped make the hard work (and greasy torn to shreds hands) worth it.

Tollers

No Tollers, I'm definitely not a guy, a tomboy maybe. I don't know any CCers in Warrington area.

Nowadays I don't do much mileage owing to circumstances with my parents & latterly after my Dad died last year, my Mum. I'm afraid of being dropped off the back of people much fitter than me! That's hard as I always kept really fit until last few years.

I'll try to scan the picture but aren't very good at knowing how to save them.

I suppose it does look peaceful Tollers from there. If you turned right towards the way bike is pointing, at that time there was the famous Richmond Gas Stoves factory, later becoming Ti New World and subsequently Stoves. I worked there for Production Direction in early 80s & it was a grim & Dickensian type of place. It's now all knocked down and there is of course - housing!

If you go further along under the bridge, eventually you will come to the scenes shown in the wonderful film Yanks.

Well about your Orange - which was how this thread started, I hope you get out there on it as much as possible and enjoy every minute of it.

Top Bottom