England : Berkshire Reading CTC Night Ride to Brighton Friday April 12th 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sbird

Über Member
Our first night ride of 2013 and our third since going to Portsmouth and Lymington in 2012.

This will be the longest so far at 75 miles but the flattest route I could find with a peak of 400 feet over the Hog's Back in Surrey. We head south from Reading, via Shinfield, through Farnborough, Aldershot, roadside 3s at Milford, Ashington, Steyning before riding by the Adur river, and crossing at Shoreham to have breakfast at the Carats Cafe in Portslade-by-sea. Then a final 4 miles along the sea front to Brighton.

We will go at around 12mph moving average and do bring your own refreshments for the roadside 3s.

Trains back to Reading take around 2 hours with one or two changes, trains back to London much more straightforward.

Do let me know if you want to come on this ride so I can let the cafe know of the numbers to expect. CTC membership number, if you have one, and mobile number please. I'm limited to 5 non-members on this ride.

Tempted? Then read here and here about our other rides that we've posted here before.

We meet at the Fount in Caversham at 11.30pm which is by the Thames at the end of Thameside Promenade next to Reading Rowing Club. Sounds posh but believe me it isn't.

Simon Bird

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Simon, interested- not least because I'm going to miss the FNRttC to Brighton a fortnight later. As I'd be travelling up from Pompey after (late shift) work, I almost certainly wouldn't be into Reading until just before midnight (2353 scheduled arrival), the only earlier train that makes sense is sadly too early. Would that be OK?

Kies

Simon, what is car parking like in that area (hopefully secure so my roof racks don't get pinched) - another interested from Slough area

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
Simon, interested- not least because I'm going to miss the FNRttC to Brighton a fortnight later. As I'd be travelling up from Pompey after (late shift) work, I almost certainly wouldn't be into Reading until just before midnight (2353 scheduled arrival), the only earlier train that makes sense is sadly too early. Would that be OK?

That would be okay and we could pick up at the station as it's on the way(ish).

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
Simon, what is car parking like in that area (hopefully secure so my roof racks don't get pinched) - another interested from Slough area

I wouldn't even begin to countenance driving back to Slough from Reading after missing a night's sleep - there is a terrible precedent for that elsewhere on these pages. And I couldn't begin to think what you would mean by secure parking - no public car park offers that level of security.

I'd urge you to think about taking the train from Slough to Reading either on the Turbos (loads of room) or the 125s (6 per train). Your route back from Brighton would be via Victoria. You could even cycle to Reading beforehand if you want to get another 20 miles in?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I wouldn't even begin to countenance driving back to Slough from Reading after missing a night's sleep - there is a terrible precedent for that elsewhere on these pages. And I couldn't begin to think what you would mean by secure parking - no public car park offers that level of security.

I'd urge you to think about taking the train from Slough to Reading either on the Turbos (loads of room) or the 125s (6 per train). Your route back from Brighton would be via Victoria. You could even cycle to Reading beforehand if you want to get another 20 miles in?
+1. No FNRttC regular would do that, even before that ride. I was on the night in question, and I wouldn't want anyone else to go through that.

StuartG

slower but further
+1 I have driven back after a fnrttc. That's why I know you shouldn't and why I never did it again. And that's from someone who has ridden back a few times. There is something uniquely dangerous about driving without sleep. Remember the tragic Selby train crash caused by a dozing motorist. Please for our sakes put it out of your mind.

boybiker

Guru
Definitely interested in this ride can you pm me the details please.

I will check the train times etc tonight when I'm home on my pc. If there is enough people interested could we not meet at the train station ( I dont know the area so have no idea if it would be at all practical)

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hi Simon, it is in the diary, ( I put it in there ages ago) but I will confirm closer to the time my attendance, if that's okay with you, thanks.

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
I'll route the ride to pick up at the, by then, newly polished and fully opened Reading Station. We'll be there at around 12.05 at the south entrance, which is closer to the town centre.

Top Bottom