Reading CTC White Horses ride Saturday 9th March 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sbird

Über Member
Starting at Great Bedwyn we will ride through the Vale of Pewsey, the Kennet Valley, Devizes, lunch at the Devine Cafe in Cherhill Calne or thereabouts, the Marlborough Downs, infamous Royal Wootton Bassett and then the delights of navigating Swindon's cycle routes before getting a train home.

On the way we'll check out the views of 6 5 White Horses for which binoculars might be an idea for some of them. About 60 miles in all. The lure of the Museum of the Great Western Railway in Swindon at the end of the ride could be an attraction to some - or maybe not. The recce ride and the cheaper costs of taking a return means we will finish the ride at Great Bedwyn via the Grand Avenue through Savernake Forest, the longest in Britain at a shade under 4 miles, all on tarmac.

We'll meet at Bedwyn station in the small town of Great Bedwyn at 9.30am. If you want to join us then do let me know so I can inform the cafe of numbers for the lunch stop. Only 5 non-CTC members can join us. If you are a member let me have your membership number please.

Simon
events@readingctc.co.uk

EDITS made after the recce ride. Which also revealed that some White Horses could do with a lick of paint.

Brings back memories of martint235's ride to Stonehenge and Wootton Bassett *with added Marlborough* :evil:and odd sorties to Cardiff etc. This will be a picturesque ride (if the gee-gees are not covered in sno-sno :rolleyes:)

U

User10571

One of the best cycling days I had last year started out from Midgham, took in Greenham Common, the Kennet Valley, lunch by the river in Hungerford, Marlborough and caught the train home from Great Bedwyn - lovely, lovely countryside - unfortunately this weekend I shall be mostly staring at the coast off Whitstable.

OP
OP
sbird

sbird

Über Member
This ride is still on. If anyone here wants to join us then let me know (CTC membership number if you have one too). And whether you'll join us at Reading station (to take the train to Bedwyn) or at Bedwyn station. It'll be a good ride with lots of company.

Top Bottom