Reading.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Even though Charles Dickens is my favourite author,I have never read A Christmas Carol.My favourite film is Alastair Sim black and white Scrooge film.So yesterday for the price of 49p I bought eight kindle books.Which included Christmas Carol.So today being the first day of December,I intend to stop reading my present book and enjoy CR.Ho ho ho,come closer man and get to know me better.

Sharky

Guru
You'd enjoy the Dickens Festival in Rochester.

View: https://youtu.be/qHky8O8_HJA

Think it was cancelled this year, but is an annual event.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Since the library is closed they have provided Borrowbox for library members.
I think it must be supplied by the local council library as it is a load of crap books. Any requests I have made are not available and the rest are violent "detective" fiction plus chicklit and lots about American teenage girls. Travel books for example are only useless guide books and no modern travel authors and no cycling books. Sport is football or football. Fortunately I have a lot on kindle and also lots of real books in the house on all kinds of subjects.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's been nearly five and a half years since I read anything that wasn't either a children's book or a textbook for work. To be fair, before that the last books I read were A Song of Ice and Fire which are a load of tedious bilgewater so I don't really feel I'm missing out on much.

In praise of a good old book, I have just read Sir Walter Scott’s Waverley. Completely fascinating, wonderful plot, some difficult language at times but surprisingly easy to follow. It was written in 1805-ish but set 60 years earlier during the final attempt to restore the line of the deposed James VII. Every paragraph reads as a mix of how Scott’s characters viewed the events, how Scott viewed the events 60 years later, and how we view the events now. Very enjoyable.

sotkayak

Veteran
Im an Andy McNab or Lee Child kinda reader. That said, at least half of my reading is either biographies or military history.

I domread rather a lot, typically 2 books a week. The advantages of being a man of leisure.
I wonder if Andy McNab, or perhaps his publisher, was influenced in his choice of name by John Buchan’s John Macnab ? A cracking yarn, more recently and enjoyably revisited by Andrew Greig’s Return of John Macnab.

sotkayak

Veteran
@sotkayak , @Drago if you like those sort of books you should love "Cochrane" by Donald Thomas. Superb biography of a man who had five lives in one.
Yes . Read it a few weeks ago. got the heads up on Cochrane when reading Flashman and the Sea wolf by Robert Brightwell....Cochrane quite the forgotten hero. ..I recollect Cochrane the Dauntless by G.A. Henty from our school library almost 60 years ago....Henty probably on theb banned list these days..:sad:

Top Bottom