Reading.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Does anyone read the CJ Box Joe Pickett series? I suspect the crimes are a bit far fetched but it's interesting reading about how the wildife/game ranger services work in rural America.

One of the ways I read is on an old Kindle 3 that somebody gave me with a smashed screen. Fixed that. If eyes are particularly iffy or need a backlight, then use a 10" Samsung tablet instead. I subscribe to several sites that scour the internet for free e-books, and currently have about 300 in the library. Most will be dross and get deleted afted a few pages, some are great. You takes, your chances...
It is also a cheaper way to revisit old books like Doc Smith's Lensman series, hopelessly dated now, but fun to re-read.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have been reading Proof by Dick Francis, who was a champion jockey who went into writing horsey thrillers. He was pretty big for a time, but he seems to have faded from sight. I read somewhere his wife may have co-written them, because she was fearsomely well educated. Proof is pretty good. It is only tangentally related to horse racing. The plot is quite credible, which makes a change.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Just finished reading Sniper One by Sgt Dan Mills of the 1st Battalion, The Prince of Wales Royal Regiment. It's about how his battalion was deployed to Al Amarah and from day one was under attack, having to defend their base from being overun, a true brothers in arms novel and probably the best book I have read so far on a soldiers experiences of the Iraq conflict.

I am just starting We Were Warriors by Capt Johnny Mercer. Its has a tough act to follow.

Last edited:
I have been reading Proof by Dick Francis, who was a champion jockey who went into writing horsey thrillers. He was pretty big for a time, but he seems to have faded from sight. I read somewhere his wife may have co-written them, because she was fearsomely well educated. Proof is pretty good. It is only tangentally related to horse racing. The plot is quite credible, which makes a change.
That would be because he died in 2010 :sad:.

I agree that his books are good. you'll probably find a good range in the charity shops when we can visit them again.

His son, Felix, has been writing the stories since then. I've tried a few and found them equally enjoyable

Drago

Legendary Member
I read a fair bit. I'm part of an informal book swapping circle with the old boy next door and a friend of mine over in Milton Keynes. Thats usually the sex and violence stuff, the Wilbur Smith, Lee Child, Andy McNab type page turners.

The other half of my reading is a little bit of military history, and a fair few biographies. I have read Homer and stuf like Plato's Republic, but that really is the exception.

And once a month Bass Player magazine plops through the door and gets read cover to cover.

I have mentioned this before on Cycle Chat, but it bears repeating:
If you are a member of your county library service, they might be signed up to an ebook sharing app called "libby". It's easily downloaded, and you sign in using your library card. It gives you free access to lots of ebooks, which you can download to a phone, tablet or kindle and then read offline.
My county library service also offers a newspaper and magazine ereader service called "pressreader". Exactly the same sort of procedure, and there are lots of magazines available including several cycling ones. Newspapers, too, but you can't wrap your chips in them!

If you are a keen reader, enquire whether your county library service is part of these schemes.....

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
I have mentioned this before on Cycle Chat, but it bears repeating:
If you are a member of your county library service, they might be signed up to an ebook sharing app called "libby". It's easily downloaded, and you sign in using your library card. It gives you free access to lots of ebooks, which you can download to a phone, tablet or kindle and then read offline.
My county library service also offers a newspaper and magazine ereader service called "pressreader". Exactly the same sort of procedure, and there are lots of magazines available including several cycling ones. Newspapers, too, but you can't wrap your chips in them!

If you are a keen reader, enquire whether your county library service is part of these schemes.....

Can you download ebooks onto your Kindle. I thought it was only Amazon downloads.

I will certainly look into it if I can do so.

Just looked into it. Staffordshire libraries use an app called Borrowbox. Will investigate further. Thanks for the tip

Eziemnaik

Über Member
IMG_20210413_152333.jpg

One of the better Reachers

Dracula is a superb read.
If you have seen the Francis Ford Coppola movie Bram Stoker's Dracula you'll realise Anthony Hopkins portrayal of Professor Van Helsing was more true to the book than any other actor who has played that character.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Mcmafia - Misha Glenny writes a convincing account of rise of the organised crime and its links to the globalization. From drug, woman and weapon trafficking to 419 scammers (google Nwude). Similar in scope to zero zero zero by Saviano, but much better written. Recently filmed by BBC, good effort although not much in common with the book.
Best part is the chapter on Yugoslavian Wars and how local crime organisation were able to put their countries' differences and work together Serbs with Croats to make a buck:okay:

Top Bottom